Red sauerkraut?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by piccololily, Aug 24, 2005.

1. piccololily

piccololily Well-Known Member

Can you make sauerkraut from red cabbage? My green cabbage turned out poorly this year, but I have plenty of good red to use. Has anyone ever tried it? Thanks!

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I've eaten it. It has a very different, stronger taste to it. Perhaps it has a different reciepe.

--->Paul

3. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Have made both. Not really nopticed a difference in taste, but did not really like the red stuff as much. Maybe because it was a funny color and can stain stuff. It can be done, and it is good.

4. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

You can use the red cabbage just like the green for kraut. The red does loose it's color and will turn into a pink kraut. If you don't mind pink kraut it's the same flavor, but you could add some beets to the mix and it will have a red color to it.

If memory serves me, my grandmother used a few apples with the red cabbage to give it a sweet/sour flavor. I would guess the beets would do the same thing, but give you the red color as well.

5. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

I ate a lot of Rotkohl (red cabbage) when I lived in Germany. It is sweet pickled and used as a side dish with Schnitzel, Rindrolladen, and the like. I believe it is often made with apples. Here's a recipe I found credited to Jeff Smith, the Frugal Gourmet:

6. piccololily

piccololily Well-Known Member

Glad to know I can try it as I would green cabbage for kraut. Maybe will try adding the beets; got lots of them too! Thanks for the recipe, Auric--sounds yummy! Will definitely give it a try!