Red Poll

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by harleystyle1, Apr 30, 2005.

1. harleystyle1

harleystyle1 Member

I have been trying to do some research on raising beef cattle I am now considering a breed that is endangered one that I found is the "Red Poll"
    Any suggestions? Or are these animals low in population because they are not desirable? Any thought would be great!

2. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with cattle but I am very familiar with endangered breeds af livestock.
    Endangered breeds are somtimes put on the list just because they are low in number which can be from a variety of reasons. One reason is that the breed has just been developed or brought here. A case in point: the Nigerian Dwarf goat. I bought mine because it was on the endangered list. Look at the breed now! It's HUGE!
    True, if nobody paid attention to the little Nigerians they obviosly wouldn't be around in the same form today. But the list IS misleading because the breed was on the rise while they were on the list.
    As for other breeds, like the Red Poll, it could be "endangered" for a variety of reasons. One thing that I have found with the "rare" breeds (As I prefer to call them) is that often times, they are just as good as the mainstream breeds or better. Sometimes, they are just ignored.
    The point to remember is we need diversity in our livestock. If everyone ignored the Nigerian Dwarf, it may very well not be in this country today. And then where would I be? Goatless, that's where.
    Everyone has differant needs. There's a breed out there to suit you.

~Carrie
    Haywood Farm
    near Tacoma, WA
    roseathaywood@yahoo.com

3. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Sometimes some cattle or other animals are considered extinct for good reason.
    Years ago Ranchers brought in Italian Chianina cattle to improve the size of beef cattle, and as use in draft animals.
    Chinanina are typically 6 feet tall, and weigh 4000lbs.
    An oversight that quickly made them not very welcome or sellable was when they found out the bulls had this nasty habit of trying to kill anyone or anything that came near "their" herd.
    oops.......

4. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

i worked one summer for a man that raised red polls he also milked them........but he had alot trouble with the bulls going sterial when they got to like a full 2 years old...so he bought some from another guy and those did the samething...at 2 years old....he when to alot shows as he showed his and alot of the ppl that had milkers had used the same bull AI and they all were having the same problem....forgot the bulls name.......so alot of his friends started using red angus bulls on the cows then it got real hard to figure out if it was a reg red poll....my brother worked there a few years later and thats all he had was a red angus bull....didn't show his calfs...and later started making less milk...............might be the reason red polls when down hill after that...not sure since i do not know them now my uncle was the dairy man milker there why me and brother worked summers there

5. backyardfarmer

backyardfarmer Member

I wouldlalso like some information on the red polls.

From what I have read, they are a multi-purpose breed.

Not as fast as angus to grow for meat and not as much milk as a holstien would cause a breed to be neglected on a commercial basis, not because it's not a good home farm cow. That is only what I have read though, does anyone out there have any?

I may be relocating to Ohio for work this summer and would like to get either a red poll, milking devon or maybe a guernsey.

dittos on the vote for genetic diversity. millions of identical clone corn or wheat may be one thing, but I would prefer non- in bred animals.

6. harleystyle1

harleystyle1 Member

I found the information on this site www.albc-usa.org/

7. farmerdan

farmerdan Well-Known Member

I have Red Poll. The are dual purpose. I have never milked any of them but I know people who do. I know that two of mine have beautiful udders on them and their calves always do nicely. They put meat on their bones on hay and grass alone. This time around I may milk one of them. If you want to see pictures of mine, PM me and I will attempt to send you some. Dan

8. wewild

wewild Member

We have Red Polls and they are good animals as some have already attested. Real good milk and temperament. Raise good calves.

See photos

http://photobucket.com/albums/v356/wewild/?action=view&current=Bill.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v356/wewild/?action=view&current=redheifer1020605.jpg