Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
www.BilriteFarms.com
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We want to repaint a couple buildings on the farm, working our way up to the main barn (big). I did a search and found many people recommended the Sherwin-Williams Duration paint but it doesn't come in RED for exterior pain.

Our local Farm/Fleet has a red paint but it seems to be kinda inexpensive/cheap and someone I knew said they didn't really like it after they used it so I thought I'd ask you all if you have any red pain (exterior) recommendations? I'm looking for a nice bright red, some I've found seem to be a bit toward a bluish tone.

Thanks!

Trisha

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have you got a True Value hardware store anywhere near you? I believe I saw some outdoor paint in a barn-y red at the one here, and the True Value outdoor paints are supposed to be one of the better ones.

·
I'm a silly filly!!
2,005 Posts
Susan Mary said:
I have had very good luck with Lowe's "Barn Red" only 9.99 per gallon and seems to last well in the hot Texas sun/Susan
I was going to say the same thing! It's a great color, too. I have two outbuildings sporting it and they look awesome.

Pam :cool: <---------------- likes the price as well

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The Duration is a great paint, but it's very expensive and I'd say probably overkill for a barn. SW SuperPaint is what I've used on my house, and it's also a very high quality paint. But it's still $30 a gallon. If I were painting a barn, I'd look at the 9.99 lowes paint mentioned above for sure.

How much time and effort are you going to put into the paint job? Will you power wash, scrape, sand etc and really do a good prep job? If so then use a good paint and it should last 10 years. If you've not got a month to spend on the project, I'd powerwash it, then spray it with an airless sprayer and use emulsabond on the first of two coats to get a good bond to the existing paint.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Has the barn been painted before? If not, you are in luck cuz you can go with a red exterior stain and it will last far longer than any paint. Mine's getting that next year.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
There are many great paints out there. Sherwin Williams is a good paint but you can easily find a similar quality paint for much, much less money. In fact, SW markets their paint under the name Conco at Menards. Same paint about 1/2 the price. The Tru-Valu paint mentioned earlier is a good paint. As a professional painter I use it most of the time for both interior and exterior jobs.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Paint has been on sale lately both and Lowes and Home Depot at least when purchased in the 5 gallon pail. Something like $20 off for one company and $25 for the other. Might be worth checking into.

Oh, I think the pails of it come in white, but they offer tinting at no additional charge.

·
www.BilriteFarms.com
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I've checked the Lowe's website and cannot find the paint that was mentioned? Is it a Lowe's brand or some other brand? I did find a Enterprise®
Oil Base Barn & Fence Paint listed at $15.00 a gallon.

I'll also check out the Tru-Value paint.

cfabe - we were going to scrape it etc but the powerwash option sounds like something to consider? How long might that paint job last?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
I agree that the Duration is probably overkill for your barn.

I really like Superpaint by SW. Painted Dads house with Superpaint, and still looks very good almost 15 years later.

You really do get what you pay for in paint, with few exceptions.

From what I understand, red color in paint is hard to hold in today's paints. I think SW has a line called Colormax....or something like that, that will hold deep colors like red or purple. Ask the SW rep at the store. They can explain it better.

There are a couple of more factors that should be asked....how is the condition of the wood on the barn? Are you brushing or rolling or spraying the paint? When was the barn painted last? Are there signs of paint failure, and what are they?

Please remember that no paint will last on rotten or wet wood.

I think I would go with the better Superpaint if the wood is in good shape, and I wanted the paint to last.

Clove

·
I'm a silly filly!!
2,005 Posts
Trisha-MN said:
Thanks. I've checked the Lowe's website and cannot find the paint that was mentioned? Is it a Lowe's brand or some other brand? I did find a Enterprise® Oil Base Barn & Fence Paint listed at $15.00 a gallon.
That's it, only I buy the latex and it's cheaper. Plus easier to clean up after.

Pam :cool: <------------- doesn't like fooling with thinners

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Go back to the store and look at other brands or indoor paint. Ask them to mix you up the color you want in the Duration.

·
Registered
263 Posts
As for Lowe's I have only purchased in the store. I get the water base cannot remembered the brand as it is generic gallon can with white label. They also have 5 gallon can but just to hard to use for me for the job I was working on.

Hope this helps! Susan

·
Registered
318 Posts
Windy in Kansas said:
Paint has been on sale lately both and Lowes and Home Depot at least when purchased in the 5 gallon pail. Something like $20 off for one company and $25 for the other. Might be worth checking into.

Oh, I think the pails of it come in white, but they offer tinting at no additional charge.
Whatever you do, don't go to Home Depot and buy any Behr brand paint. You might as well paint it with water.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Susan Mary said:
I have had very good luck with Lowe's "Barn Red" only 9.99 per gallon and seems to last well in the hot Texas sun/Susan
That's what we use for our outbuildings...we love it. :)

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Sherwin Williams Has an oil base barn paint, that I like, I sprayed over 100 gallons of it a few years ago, it come in red and white, and comes in 5 gallons cans,

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
We painted our house with Fleet Farm Bright Red years ago.
Did a nice job and lasted quite well on the old siding.

Lately I have used their Barn Red for the chicken coop. It looks OK. Will have to see how it lasts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts