Red Oak Acorns

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by texastami, Nov 11, 2004.

1. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

We just discovered a huge cache of acorns in a lot across the road from us.... owner says we can pick up all we want... (otherwise the deer get them via the golf course!!) Parent trees are huge and gorgeous red oaks...

So, if I pick up, say a 10 gallon bucket full.... all good, uncracked, undamaged, no bugs, acorns.... What can I do with them??

I was wondering if I could plant them in the future... We have 10 acres in MO that we are planning to move to in a year or two, that are going to need some trees down the line... can I do this??

How would I store them?? I have some super styrofoam containers that would store well, if I kept them out of the humidity....

I hate to see them go to waste if they have potential......

Thanks for your help!!

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Not sure about storing, but they are simple to grow. Don't bury them, just lay them on top of growing medium. They will grow a long tap root, and then a little twig with, if I remember right, 4 little leaves.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Like Southerngurl siad, just lay them on the medium to start them. Remember, though, if they're red oak, they won't germinate until spring. The white oak acorns germinate in the fall. (They're the ones you can make acorn flour out of...less tannins)

4. chris774

chris774 Member

how do u tell the which is white or red oak?

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Red oak acorns are smaller, and sometimes striped. White oaks have large elongated acorns.

I didn't realize they would not sprout until spring, I grew white oaks. They grew readily.

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Chris, easy way to remember which is red oak and which is white oak. Red man shoots sharp arrows, white man shoots round bullets. Red oak leaves have pointed lobes, white oak leaves have rounded lobes. ;)

Martin

7. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

After you lay them on top of the growth medium, cover them with wire or something to stop marauding squirrels from raiding your new nursery. If you use pots, you might have some plants to carry up to MO next year!!

You can't start too soon on your forest!

Sandi

8. mikeg

mikeg Active Member

You might want to put some in a small bag of moist sand or a container like butter comes in and set them in the fridg for a couple of months. After the first of the year put them in containers that you can keep at a comfortable temp and get a jump start on sprouting them.
    There was a couple of very large red oak trees where I used to work and I would pick up the acorns. I would take them with me when deer hunting in the fall and drop the in the woods where I hunted, it is hard to say how many trees I've planted that way.