Red maple trees

Discussion in 'Goats' started by celadon, Sep 13, 2006.

1. celadon

celadon Well-Known Member

I heard that red maple trees are poison to goats. Is this right? I have one in my back yard where they are fenced in at. I pick up the leaves that fall everym morning. But know some will fall during the day. I really don't want to cut the tree down because next year we are building and will be moving the goats there. It is a nice shade tree. Is a few going to hurt them? Or will they not like them and spit them out?

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Not sure of the type of maple that you have, but my goats love the wild maples that grow in our area. Wondering if you are refering the the Japanese variety?

3. Tricia Smith

Tricia Smith Member

I believe red maple is toxic to horses.

Our goats eat red maple on a regular basis!

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

mine do too. theylove the leaves.and theleaves are a real treat for the goats.

5. celadon

celadon Well-Known Member

I do not know what type of red maple it is. It just has red leaves on it. It was already here when we moved here two years ago. My goats love the maple trees also. I think I have the best pruned ones around. I think I will just keep raking up the leaves as they fall just to be for sure. :shrug: Thanks

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

If it's a red maple, it's leaves will be green all summer, but vibrant red in the fall. The ones with the red leaves aren't "red" maples, but actually Norway maples.

Ruth

7. Tricia Smith

Tricia Smith Member