Red Dot Sights

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by GREENCOUNTYPETE, Nov 28, 2006.

1. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

Who has one , what brand model and how do you like it
    i do a lot of quick shooting at deer that are moving
    i am currently using a 12ga with a bead on my 28 inch barrel and get deer but i would like to get more

i am looking for a way to get the running deer 75-80 yards out in the woods that are generaly unshootable with iron sights or traditional scope

with irons it is very hard to get your sights on a deer that keeps running behind trees and brush to keep with them and catch them in an opening

and with a conventional scope it is almost impossable to find them with the scope while running

but i have heard they have realy fast target acuisitoin but have never tried one

also do you notice paralax with yours this is if you point it at a target and without moving the sight move your head a but is the dot still on the target
    or has it moved slightly

thanks for your input
    Pete

yes we are in a shotgun only zone

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Had BSA Red Dot on my Crossbow.Hated it! Went back to Pin.

As far as running Deer I like Open Sights.But most of the time I just stop them.I don't shoot running Deer unless they are wounded.

big rockpile

3. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

Just yell Hey. be surprised how many times a deer will come to a complete stop,

4. I started to buy one last September when I bought my daughter a 223 H.R. but the salesman advised against it. He said if it is a very bright sunny day I would have a hard time seeing the dot, unless I had the money to buy a high dollar one that would enhance the dot brightness for certain conditions. Which he said would run a couple of hundred dollars. Yike! I don't want one that bad.

5. GREENCOUNTYPETE

Yeh if i could stop the deer that would be great.
    but in 14 years of hunting i have shot 3 standing deer the rest of the dozen plus were running and i have seen only a few more and usualy only when i didn't have a doe tag
    i get 22 hours of hunting a year and i usualy get a deer but i would like to get more
    deer and more time hunting and at the range but with 3 kids and a fourth due this summer it doesn't look like i am going to get any more hunting time or time at the range for a while ,the year i was shooting trap fairly regular it seemed like anything i drew a bead on fell i use the same shot gun for trap as deer.
    so it would be great if i had more time but i hear these red dot sights are very popular with the army they reduce training time and improve first shot accuracy with minimal obstruction to field of view some are even rated for use with night vision that way the
    soildger can use the night vision gogles and then look through the sight
    not that i have or could aford night vision

how ever the ones your buying for the men in women in uniform are 420 to 1000 dollards and that may not inclued mounting hardware

i have heard bad things about the bsa red dot being very poor quality but then it is 30 dollards and i have found that most conventional scopes in the 30 dollar price range are also junk

it usualy takes 70 to 100 dollards to get a decent convetional scope and 300 to 600 for a high end scope and red dots seem to have the same basic price break down

a few low end pellet gun 22 sights for 30 to 50 the bsa ,and off brandname
    some what seem to be better quality sights for 70 to 100 tasco simmoms bushnell
    and then the high end sporting ,police ,military grade sights for 300 on up aimpoint trijicon zies

and shooting running deer isn't the problem it's specificaly for me the 75 to 100 yard out deer running in the woods for deer inside 50 yards running no problem they shoot like clays

but i want the versitility to go back and forth and get my close and far with the same
    sight so more specificaly i am looking for infor on the mid grade the tasco bushnell and simmons models in the 70 to 120 price range
    how are they for picking up moving targets

i am sure if i bought a police/ military grade aimpoint i would probably have no complaints other that how much i spent and my wife complaining about how much i spent so i am looking for funcion on a budget.

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

http://www.solow.com/redot.htm

Most of them dont have a parralex problem since they have no magnification
    Unless youre using slugs I wouldnt take a 75 yd shot at a deer with a shotgun

7. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

Careful how you word this Pete, you'll get slapped by the Mods!

8. GREENCOUNTYPETE

slugs are the only legal shotgun projectile for hunting deer in wisconsin

we used to laught when walmart first started putting stores in wisconsin
    the would send cases of buckshot just before hunting season and also cases of 410 slugs neither may be used in wisconsin for legal hunting of anything but varmaint

so they would sit on the shelf till they went super clearance they no longer do this

and i can keep them on a dinner plate at 100 yards when at the range and i have shot standing deer that range but when they are bounding throught the woods 100 is tought with just a bead

9. GREENCOUNTYPETE

Auric you know that is not what i meant but since you had to bring it up isn't that how your unit worked.

10. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

I'm sure I don't know what you are talking about.

11. GREENCOUNTYPETE

thanks for the link bearfoot