Recycling Wood

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Pony, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, after seeing the lovely pics of Carytid's $75 barn, I've been noodling all over to find info on wood recylcling.

I'll bet at least a couple of someone's have ideas on where to pick up recyclable <sp?> wood.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Pony!

2. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

Not to build a barn with...
    but yesterday I was at a construction site and watched builders burning piles of scrap used for building kitchen cabinets. It was a good thick laminate with a beautiful oak surface. I was thinking "what a wasted good surface for woodburning art". Would also be fantastic for painting or small crafting.

Then someone else mentioned to me...
    When a large OAK tree fell due to storm damage, someone called a mobile mill saw to come to them. The mill-on-wheels cut it up into enough lumber to add on a bedroom and the mill only charged $200. It was less expensive than the tree removal service and they were able to just burn what was left.
    (Yeah, build a house of OAK instead of the "balsa" they sell at Home Depot.)

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

First thing would be to buy old barn that is falling down and disassemble it. The better way would be to get paid for removing the old barn and keep the wood. All over the south they are doing away with the old tobacco warehouses because of the changes in how tobacco is selling. In my little town they are disassembling 2 huge buildings right now. there is enough lumber and tin coming out of these 2 buildings to probably build 5 or 6 barns.

4. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Look on the sides of the road soemtimes....amazing free deals there sometimes. I've seen doors, old windows, etc. there for the taking (free signs on them that is...) If you're into old houses or fixing one up, look around...those who don't appreciate the stuff throw it out when they replace it...radiators (the nice big fancy ones) and even a stained glass window once...replaced a couple pieces and it's hanging up in my bedroom now! Can't wait till I can use it soemday...oh, then there's hardware, antique stuff often, and even gas lighting fixtures....if you know how to correctly clean this stuff up, you can hit gold mines soemtimes! Okay, off topic with this stuff, but you get the idea if you're building or fixing up...salvage yards are way overpriced often for stuff you can get free or cheap with patience.

For wood, try old pallets...around here, they can be had for free if you know the right people...they're thrown out otherwise.

5. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Active Member

My Dad sided a small house with free pine boards. 6-10 footers from scrapped shipping crates at a glass shop and door manufacturer. They don't reuse them... it would cost more to ship them back I guess. Almost new and clean stuff after you tear them apart and pull the staples. It looked very good after it was painted.

6. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

That's a good idea right there! Never thought of that...could probably use a froe to spkit the boards from pallets/etc. into nice clapboards, after planing them down after splitting...with good thick boards, you could probably get two clapboards each from them. Put them up, and paint them. Would look just like old siding...real old, since they used to use such short ones.

Or, how about cutting them with a froe by hand into shingles? Might work...good suggestion! Never thought about using pallets/shipping crate boards for siding...

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

There are a couple of people on the LittleHouses list http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LittleHouses/?yguid=109437082 who recycle pallets by cutting the nails with a sawsall. It's really hard to pull the nails out of pallets because they usually use nails with a twisted thread that are really hard to get out. There has been quite a bit of discussion on that list about how to use recycled pallets and other recycled wood.

Kathleen

8. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

Our biggest sources for wood are glass shipping crates and pallets. The companies love us for cleaning up the mess. On occassion, we have found some that are 15feet long. (Our next project is to build a studio for me- we have finally collected enough 9foot pallets for the walls).

Another place we got the wood was remodeling projects. A picture framing store was putting in new cabinets, and we got the old ones, and also Mark's neighbor was remodelling their entire house- and they offered him everything.

Also, www.freecycle.org gave us leads on a lot of stuff. Not only "scrap" wood (like 8 sheets of plywood that were only a foot shorter than a full sheet), but I also snagged a huge window that will be perfect for my greenhouse...(another project on my "wish list")

The way Mark does it is if he sees piles of wood, pallets, or any sort of junk he might be able to use, he just goes in and asks the manager (or homeowner, or whoever). 75% of the time they have to pay someone to haul it away, so they are happy to let it go for free. Same is true with tires now. There is a disposal fee the company has to pay- so if you want to build a retaining wall, or any other project using tires just go to any tire repair center. Be sure to bring a truck.

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

The stuff they burned while my house was being built made me sick. I salvaged as much of it as I could and one time they burned the stuff I had stacked up in the garage! That was the LAST time they burned scrap before getting my permission. We have built so much stuff from what we were able to save...my temporary chicken coop, all of my 4x16 raised garden beds, etc. The stoop to my potting shed is a pallet.

You could probably call some construction companies and get permission to go into new subdivisions and clean up for them...they'd probably pay you too! Our builder told us if we ever needed firewood to just call and he'd let us know where they were clearing a lot to build. He said they just bulldoze the trees down and bury or burn them.

It is absolutely amazing and disgusting what this country throws away.

10. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

When I was younger I used to work a lot of commercial tenant improvement jobs...you know, preparing a building for a new retail establishment. In most cases we came into a building and had a LOT of demolition to do. Everything you could want went into the dumpsters including carpet, cabinets, much framing lumber, electrical fixtures, conduit (usually emt), many doors, the list goes on and on.

So to tap into such treasure troves you need to be aware of local stores that are "Coming Soon" and in the remodel stage. Go in and talk to the superintendant on the jobs. Most are helpful and willing to see the huge material wealth stay out of the dumpsters and landfills.

I hauled away many truckloads of everything imaginable over the years and much went into my many building projects, some got given to friends and relatives, and some got sold.

bearkiller

11. Walt K. in SW PA

Walt K. in SW PA Well-Known Member

I used to have quite a bit of success getting all kinds of lumber and plywood after the "Anything that Floats" race (part of the 3 Rivers Regatta) in Pittsburgh. After the event everything went into giant dumpsters and I would load my truck down with all I could take. If you have access to any kind of similar event you might keep your eyes open!

12. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow! These are great ideas!! THANKS so much!

There are a couple of buildings being knocked down not far from here. I think I will ask DH to go with me and ask if they mind us hauling away stuff: helps us, and helps them by saving dumpster space and man hours!

Anyone else have more ideas?

Pony!

13. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

You can try this website. Sometimes you can find stuff that is local. If it can be recycled, it's here.

http://www.recycle.net/

14. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Good sources for pallets are: roofing companies, the local newspaper, tile stores, these tend to be thicker, hardwood pallets.

15. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Construction and demolition sites

Habitat for Humanity has stores in some cities with good prices on everything from wood, to doors and windows

Home Depot cull bins, I build so many things with this stuff

Playground installers, you ought to SEE the crates big slides come in!

Keep your eyes open and ask. I had 25 sections of decking dumped off at my house one time so that they guy didn't have to haul it to be disposed of. DISPOSED OF!!! We're talking sections of 2X6!! They range from 2' wide to 4' wide, and I am making all kinds of things out of them, mostly floors for sheds and henhouses, but am also going to do some worm beds and some raised garden beds.

hollym

16. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

One more reiteration of my point, lol. Pony they do not mind at all, they are THRILLED to get rid of it locally. It saves them man hours and disposal charges.

You used to be able to get stuff at landfills, but the ones in Texas bury everything and don't let you 'explore', lol. The one in Montana would let you get right down into the pit and haul stuff out!

hollym

17. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Motorcycle and tractor dealers often take in inventory in enormous wooden crates--definitely large enough to make a farrowing hut or even a small chicken coop just as they are. Or you can tear them apart for wood. I'm amazed at the stuff they use for these crates--I've seen board lengths of clear cherry with a nick here or there on those big 4x8' sheetrock pallets.

18. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Our local newspaper sometimes has ads of people who want old buildings torn down, and they offer them free for hauling off. You might check the ad sections.We also have several businesses that use wood for their products and it is great to check out the dumpsters. Sometimes find great wood pieces.

19. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

I just saw one in our local paper for a free house you tear down and haul away. Wish I had the land to store it on and the back to due the work. Damn shame cause no one will probably go and due it so it will either get knocked down or burned down for fire training. Which I use to do when I was on a small town fire dept but if someone asked for something they were welcome to it. A friend got for free a brand new air pump for AC with all the copper lines and coil for it. But he has a havoc license to boot. And I've seen folks take siding off ,doors out,sinks,stair cases,and such from houses the state bought for bypass road project. All you have to really do is stop and ask usually. Later Matt