Recycle Tax Whats Next

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mikell, Jan 12, 2005.

1. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Looking at a new video camera setup for the foaling barn and for 169$ I can get what I want. If I lived in California it would be another 29$ for recycling tax. Crazy. Do you get your money back if you leave the state with it ???

mikell

2. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

LOL what will they think of next??!! Where in SW Mi are you? I am down by the Indiana border.

Kim in Mi

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I havent seen the recycling tax here,has anyone else or is Mikell getting his chain pulled by someone?

BooBoo

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

In TN we pay an extra $1.00 per tire. Goes into a state fund for tire clean-up and such.

5. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

Wisconsin has one on anyone who is in business, here are the details.

When I used to have my own business I remember having to pay it. I guess it goes to pay for all the recycling centers, none of which in this area even come close to breaking even.

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I'll see if I can find the place again tomorrow. It just said something like California residents add $$$ for electronic recycling tax or something close to that.

mikell

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I sure wouldnt doubt it for a minute,tvs are now hazardous waste and its a big chunk of change to get rid of one,but I dont remember how much.

8. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Quote from states site:

The Electronic Waste Recycling Fee is imposed on the consumer and collected by the retailer, at the time of the retail sale or lease of certain new or refurbished televisions, computer monitors, laptop computers, and other devices. This fee is administered by the Electronic Waste Recycling Fee Section of the Board of Equalization.

Here's the state's link explaining it:
    http://www.boe.ca.gov/sptaxprog/ewaste.htm

9. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

Seems the numbers were off...
    http://www.boe.ca.gov/sptaxprog/ewfaqs.htm

How much is the fee?
    The fee ranges from $6.00 to $10.00 per CED sale. It is based on the size of the video display, measured diagonally.

Screen size, measured diagonally Fee
    Greater than 4 inches but less than 15 inches $6
    Greater than or equal to 15 inches but less than 35 inches $8
    Greater than or equal to 35 inches $10

Which sales are subject to the fee?
    Beginning January 1, 2005, you must collect the fee on the retail sale or lease of a new or refurbished video display device that has a screen size of more than 4 inches measured diagonally. These are called "covered electronic devices" (CEDs). They include:
    Televisions that contain cathode ray tubes.
    Computer monitors that contain cathode ray tubes or use liquid crystal displays.
    Laptop computers.
    "Bare" cathode ray tubes or any other product that contains a cathode ray tube.
    Refurbished items are products the manufacturer has tested and returned to a condition that meets factory specifications, repackaged, and labeled as refurbished.

10. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I'll take your word but it sure seemed like it was 29$ because I was thinking it was like 20% of the cost of the setup.

mikell