Recording a grade question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TwoAcresAndAGoat, Jan 21, 2005.

1. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I want to have my doe Maggie listed as a recorded grade with the ADGA. I understand that another member of the ADGA needs to write a letter saying she appears to look like a Nubian goat and she needs to be tatooed BEFORE she is recorded.

My question is, I have a herd id number to place in one ear, but what do I tatoo in the other since I am not 100% positive on the year she was born. I remember seeing her as a kid but can't remember what year it was.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

You can tattoo whatever you want in that ear. Even if it's just a number 1. Doesn't make any difference. You do not have to use the recommended ADGA year ID letter if you don't want. You can have your own system if you like as far as I know. Whatever you tattoo will be on her paper so she can be identified by that.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I would want to see the doe in person. Do you know any ADGA members locally? She is really short legged, does she have nigerian or pygmy in her? It's unethical to record a doe who is known to have meat, pygmy or nigerian in her. It's a rule in ADGA. Being a Nubian breeder I am of course a stickler, that isn't saying you couldn't get someone else to write the letter. She does not conform to Nubian breed standards with her short ears and flat nose. If she doesn't come from these other breeds, than just breed her to a purebred or American Nubian buck and register the kids, the dam as unknown or unregistered and on the bucks paperwork, it still will only make them 50% grades. She only would need to be recorded to show or appriase. Vicki

4. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

Hi Vicki

There are several ADGA members in my area and I was planning on having someone look at her. I saw both her mother (now dead of old age) and her father. Both looked like nubians and her mother was "supposed" to be registered but I have no way of confirming that :no:
    Maggie is 30" at the shoulder so I don't think she had any nigerian or pygmy in her. But thanks for the information.

And I would never want anyone to write a letter on just a photo since I know photos can be doctored.
    [​IMG]
    Un retouched photo of Maggie.

[​IMG]
    Retouched photo of Maggie. OOPS! probably should have dropped her hock a little bit. :eek:
    It's what I do for a profession :D So don't believe anything you see unless you can see the photo negative!

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

LOL!

Good job on the photos!

:haha: Gave me my giggle for the day.