Record keeping

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ttryin, Jan 22, 2007.

1. ttryin

ttryin Well-Known Member

Am looking for a simple ... not necessarily computerized ... record keeping system that includes reminders of when things need to be done, bills and papers are due, and have been paid. I'm not looking for numbers, just outlines of a system.

I have an old word processing program with spreadsheet options that could be used.

Starting with a blank page often doesn't help me when beginning something new. What does work is looking at or hearing about methods that work for someone else. Then I understand how it works!

Many thanks.

2. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep a large zippered folder that has pockets on the inside and a large pad of paper. I write down all the bills and when they come due. We pay twice a month. As the bills come in I put them in the folder. I pay the ones that are due on our first payday. { we get paid twice a month]. Then I put the paid bills in a pocket on the side and check them off the list. It works well for me. I also have a big paper calender on my desk top. { Real desktop] The squares for the days are empty. I put reminders for each day in the squares. When that month is done I can rip that sheet off and start a new month. On the sides of this calendar are pads for other notes and to do lists. if you get a regime going its easy to remember to do things. I do my banking online so I can check often. Also having a file cabinet helps keep organized...

3. connie in nm

connie in nm Well-Known Member

I use a similar bill paying system. Bills go into a manila folder. On the outside, I attach a small sheet of paper listing the bills and due date. We are paid every two weeks (rather than 1st & 15th), so this helps me keep track better.

I use my check register to list all my checks into 4 catagories just to track them because I like to do that sort of thing. Total that each month.

Simple is best in my opinion.

4. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Bulletin board!!!!! And a dry erase board and a callendar with BIG spaces, a page-a-day desk callendar is great if it is set where you can see it. Papers and bills can be tacked to the board, projects and deadlines written with date due on the dry-erase board, soonest due listed first, and all info followed up on the desk calendar. Once bills are paid they go into a pocket file folder. When paying bills we write the check number, amount, and date on the bill stub. Used to be my system and it worked great until dh started to remodel the hallway and I lost my hanging spots. We still write payment info on the stubs and bills are laid in a special spot on the desk. With installment loans that we pay in person the receipt is taped into the payment book.

Grandma used a pocket wall calendar for everything. Papers went in the pocket with appropriate dates being marked on the calendar. The papers were removed as events passed or bills were paid with receipts being put into the pockets. She kept track of farm expences for at least 20 years that way.

5. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

To keep track of bill paying, Label four file folders: 1st-7th, 8-15th, 16-23th, and 24-31st. When you receive a bill place it in the appropriate file folder. If you only pay bills according to your own income schedule, make the appropiate number of folders to match your pay schedule.

To keep track of where your money is going. Make a spreadsheet, you can purchase columnar pads at any office supply store - or you can make your own. First column on the left - list to whom/where transaction took place. Across the top above each column (you can go for as many or as few as you like) list expenses: Savings(an asset, but for budgeting it works best to treat it like an expense until the end of the year), Mortgage/Rent, Food/General Household, Insurance, Loan Payments, Entertainment, avoid Miscellaneous if possible. At the end of each month - add up each column. On a separate spread sheet, with the same item titles, in the first column list each month. At the end of the year total the columns on that spread sheet.

If you use a credit card which is paid off monthly - you can use your monthly statement to show where those transactions belong on the spreadsheet.

If you are making payment on the credit card debt - be honest with yourself and put most of that transaction in the column titled "interest paid" :) At the end of the year, do a separate spreadsheet on the credit card transactions and take whatever you honestly paid towards the principal and subtract that from the interst paid amount and apply it to the proper columns.

If you have many interest baring accounts - the price of a good computarized accounting program is worth the expense.

Hugs
    marlene

6. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

I laid all my bills out in a spreadsheet, using excel. the first collum is bill name, second collum when bill is due, third is bill amount for the month, fourth is budgeted amount for bill, fifth is when the bill is paid, and the last collum is for debts that arent residual ( such as vehicles, credit cards, etc) and that collum lists the total amount left. I suppose you could add one for percentage rate too if ya wanted to.

7. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I usually just use Microsoft Outlook. I use the calendar and set reminders as I need them. I don't know what I would do without it! :)

8. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I like the pocket calendar system. My mom did it that way for many years. She also kept a notebook, EVERY penny spent was written down in that notebook and totals were tallied weekly, monthly, and yearly, the tax deductible receipts went into the pockets in the calender, the others were trashed.

I use Excel spreadsheets for almost everything (except menus, I do them in a word perfect program.) I used the pocket calender system of keeping records for a few years and I really liked it, but it's hard to find pocket calenders nowadays.