recommended brands of meds etc...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, Jan 13, 2007.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Ok, I am getting ready to restock the goatie med cabinet and I am interested in what brands/types you all have in your cabinet, succeses with them, dislikes etc... I am ordering from Jeffers. Does the CL vacine really help? Pneumonia vaccinations worth it?

2. goatlover270

goatlover270 Well-Known Member

:) Hello there.
    I just stick with the basics. I use Ivermectin Plus when I worm, then I alternate after the second treatment that yr. so that the worms do not build up immunity. I have always trusted Ivermectin, even when I had to use it on my dogs, a long time ago, it worked wonders for the mange mites, the vet put them on it and cleared right up. Ivermectin Plus goes after a type of liver flukes that regular Ivermectin doesn't work on.
    I have never used the CL shot in the years I have been raising goats. Neither have I messed with the Pneumonia vaccinations. I would guess that everyone has their own different ways for their own different kinds of goats. One that has dairy or meat goats, would probably do things differently, than someone like me with just pygmys and goats that are not being used for food or milk.
    I do take pride in my animals, but I just look at it this way, they are roamers by nature, who does all that stuff for them while they roam in the wild. I take care of the worming and help deliver babies, even gone in to get a few, but other than a few sicknesses in between, others are doing well.
    This is just my opinion and my way of doing things.
    God Bless :angel: and good luck with your goats.

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been told that Biomycin is better for goats than LA200 because the binder is different and doesn't sting as much. I don't vaccinate for CL. If you do, the goats will test positive and there is no way then to know for sure if a goat has really been exposed short of an abcess. I've also been told it's sucess rate is questionable. The only folks I can see vaccinating for this are people who have had CL on their property, culled all positive goats and then vaccinate the rest to prevent them from contracting it from the environment.
    Most people vaccinate for entero and tetanus. It's also good to vaccinate for pneumonia if you show your goats. Meds I keep on hand are Biomycin, Penn G, Nuflor, Excenel, Banamine, thiamine, B complex, BoSe, A&D and oxytocin. I also have Scour Halt, Biosol, liquid oral sulfa, Diasarnyl, Kaolin pectate, epinephrin, benadryl, Norcalciphos, MFO, propylene glycol, chlorhexadine disinfectant, Today, Tomorrow, blood stop powder, cut heal and triple antibiotic ointment. I get my meds from various sources including my vet.

4. goatlover270

goatlover270 Well-Known Member

ya know that BoSe, brings a question to mind... I was needing to get that shot for my Baby Angel and do you know that everywhere I tried to get it, they told me that I had to get that from a vet had to have a prescription to get it and or see the vet. I had to end up taking her in to get the shot and walked out of there with only one leg and one arm...you know what i mean!!! I was so upset finding out later I didn't need to do that. So where are yall buying your BoSe?
    I just wanted to recommend too, the place called Jeffers to buy supplies. One other thing...goatworld.com, did you ever check them out? ok have a nice day.

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I don't vaccinate for CL, but I do test for it. I would cull any animal that showed signs of cl, and will only buy from clean herds from now on. Never tried a pneumonia vaccine.
    And I think you can only get BoSe shots from your vet. You can ask just to buy a bottle off of them instead of getting just the shots, however.