Recommendations on push mowers?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nik, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to buy a new push mower this year and figured it would be a good idea to get some advice before plunking down the cash. I had wanted to go with John Deere, but then I did some searching on past threads and read about all the problems folks were having with them, so help me make up my mind............Toro, Snapper, Lawn-Boy?????????????????

Thanks,
    Nik

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Honda , Toro or Snapper . Honda is the Best but very pricey . Make sure the Drive wheels are on the Rear as Front wheel drive isn't very effective on an Incline . Others will feel differentialy . fordy.. :)

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The 2-stroke Lawn Boy that I bought 25 years ago is still running perfectly. What ever you buy, my suggestion is to buy a 2-stroke: lightweight, less parts, more dependable, easier to fix, no oil to change.

4. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

The Lawn Boys I looked at were 4 strokes if I remember right. Did they switch over recently? The other mowers I've looked at have had a HUGE difference in quality. It looks like I'm going to have to spend some real money if I want one that is going to last.

Nik

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Get one with 16" rear wheels and you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Much easier to move around.

mikell

6. oneditto

oneditto Member

Honda is the way to go...buy the biggest one you can afford. Want it to last? Clean it when your done using it, and turn off the fuel valve.

7. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

", and turn off the fuel valve."

most fuel valves are automatic these days. ;)

and I've NEVER EVER have seen a two stroke push mower!
    I'm interested, so I'm looking for a

Honda , Toro or Snapper
    2-stroke
    with Big rear wheels
    rear drive wheels ???
    ..and keep it clean

8. oneditto

oneditto Member

Go to home depot and follow the fuel line from the tank to the carb...that red and black round thing between them is the fuel valve...so yes turn it on to use it and off when your done.

9. bergere

bergere Just living Life

We are not going to be able to afford a tractor this year, but need to keep the grass down around the house at least. Not having anything machincal working on the place,, I started searching for a push mower.

This is the one I desided would be best for the place. Another thing to keep in mind, is if anyone will service the mower you buy in your area.

Figured this one could handle the land around the house better than the other kind. Is a Husqvarna Self Propelled Walk Behind Mower — 21in. Cutting Width, 5.5 HP

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...erformics&cm_pla=Performics&cm_ite=Performics

10. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Can't give advice on a brand as I've always bought from cheap and used. I can say this, if you live on a hilly piece of property sometimes a 2 stroke is better. A 4 stroke with an oil sump will sometimes starve the engine for oil when mowing in steep spots. No oil on the crank and it will ruin the motor.

11. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

but, why?! why have a fuel valve when you can have a automatic one that shuts the fuel off when engine isn't running? What advantage is there to a shutoff valve?

I thought those things went the way of the Magnesium pushmower decks.

12. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

Definatly go with a 'silver-series' self-propelled 6.5 hp 2 cycle lawnboy.
    Two year warranty. I love those things, bought 3 new and 1 used.
    Bought a TSC''s highwheel self propelled (rear wheel drive), it would litterally
    pull you up hills, BUT they wear out more quickly. I even had a Yazoo,
    bigwheeled mower, built like a tank, but would use my lawnboy over them anyday.

Dont get a 4 cycle lawnboy though.

13. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I swear, its absolute sticker shock when I walk into place selling lawn mowers anymore. And many dont have particularly high quality engines despite their price. Lot of the cheaper vertical shaft OHV engines are junk in my opinion. My ancient Yazoo that I bought for $2 at auction and finally put good used ($60) one pull type commercial 5hp BS flat head engine on (got tired of messing with the old wornout Tecumseh previous owner had rigged) works great for me. Only better mower I have run across is an old Kee mower with aluminum housing and steel tube frame (alas rare as hens teeth around here). The Yazoo is all steel and much heavier to push around although not any tougher. Both have large rear wheels. Honda OHV engines are great (no experience with their OHC engines) and I'd of loved to have had a Honda engine, I just rarely find them in good condition at cheap price. They tend to be worn out junk at my price level. Be aware that most modern mowers are made for yuppies with golf course lawn and dont do well in tall grass/weeds nor uneven ground, nor even wet short grass. My old Yazoo and the Kee were made to handle rough uneven ground and even very light brush. They also were made before lawyers forced engineers to try and make everything complicated and idiot proof, so if you go this way, use some sense and dont stick your toe under the mower deck and dont run over obvious loose items that mower can kick out at high velocity.

Think 2cycle mowers are extinct, course I havent really paid close enough attention to say so for sure. All I know is I havent seen a newer 2cycle lawnboy for some time. Used to be a Jacobson 2 cycle mower. Big heavy flywheel to make up for low torque of 2cycle. Get that thing turning and it wasnt going to stop quickly. Be banned for safety anymore. Anyways, think government EPA has gotten into regulating small equipment now. 2cycle engines tend to be dirty pollution wise. Also notice most mowers no longer have a choke and are set to run kinda lean with no carb adjustments available. Wouldnt be surprised to see mowers with catalytic converters, computer controlled fuel injection, etc....... They'll cost $5000 for 19inch push version and require a phd to work on, but by gosh they will put out slightly less pollutants.

14. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

I can't really speak to brand name, however I will say that many mowers have a larger engine than necessary just to jack up the price.

If you're only mowing a lawn, and the mower isn't self-propelled, don't pay for more than a couple horsepower. Bigger won't last longer.

I'm not sure what's appropriate for self-propelled, but I do know that the average "lawn" tractor doesn't need more than 8 hp. So I can't imagine that a self-propelled would need even 6.5.

Just my two cents.

15. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

you don't say what you are cutting .nice even ground ,no rocks tuff grass branchs then a honda. any rough ground tall grass rocks then the cheapest briggs powered mower you can find!been the honda,high wheel tecumseh and our all around trm rough mower is a briggs pos mower .must be 20 years old rusty but gets the job done!

16. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

For a regular lawn I like the cheapest - the small cut, usually red in color push mowers at Wal-Mart or equivalent. Briggs-Stratton motor. Mine was $100 new. Bought it 10 years ago.

17. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

we bought a mower similar to this one on eBay -- it has a 6.5 horse Honda engine on it. Husqvarnas are supposed to be very good so we're hoping that it will get us through many seasons with minimal care.

Kem & Sue in Glassboro, NJ

18. dale

dale Well-Known Member

Honda has a very good OHV engine but are very expensive.

All new engines 4 stroke Engines are OHV becuase of emisions. EPA seen to that.
    That way they could keep the emissions down and bring up the horse power some.
    tecumseh I personally dont care for because I work on them. They have plastic carbs and not much to them. If you get a drop of water then you have to take the carb apart to clean it.

Briggs. I like working on them still have a Metal carb. if you will change the oil and clean the breather and not let it sit in the rain or snow it will last for some time.

Now mostly I have just mentioned motors because if you buy most brands of mowers they will have one of these motors on it. briggs or tecumseh..

If you buy a Troy built you could get a Briggs or Tecumeh or Kawasaki

Now about the Snapper they make a good push mower but they are expensive but check the motor because they will sometimes have a Tecumseh on them

LAWNBOY well they are a good mower 2 stroke run for a long time if taken care of .. plastic carbs but still good. Not much working parts in the carb so cuts down on problems. I hate working on them.

ON Friday's is Lawnboy days at the shop I work at. when we finish with all the Tecumseh's we do the Lawnboy's its payday so you know that not only do you get your check but you have to do the Lawnboys that have come in.

Mostly the problems we have with lawnboys have been water in the gas or just worn out and sucking air and has lost its compression. Some that are brought in dates back to the 70's and the owners just dont want to give up on them.

dale

19. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Thank you for letting me know,,, as That is what we are hoping for too. ;)