Recommendations for verybearing strawberry?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Vicey, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Vicey

Vicey Member

Hi--Is there anyone that could recommend a nice everbearing strawberry for Zone 5?

Established bed (here when I moved 10 years ago) has some bare spots and I would like to get some plants to fill in. I see June bearing plants sold locally but appears that I will have to order everbearing.

Bed is @ 6'x6'--don't think I'll need a lot of plants. I use almost all produce fresh. Plants have done pretty well (sans Iowa heat) but don't seem to send out many runners. I really do not do much to this bed--some water in summer; straw mulch in winter.

Could someone recommend a good variety--and possibly where to order? Any tips for getting new plants started and general care would be appreciated.

And nice to have found this forum--learned so much already!!!

2. Vicey

Vicey Member

Oops--I do mean EVERbearing strawberries!!!!!

3. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

try looking into Stark Bros from missouri(http://www.starkbros.com/)... they have a nice variety and are suited for our area - I am in NE Iowa and the Ozark beauty does real well here for us.

good luck neighbor!

4. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

I really like INdiana berry.....
    might be inberry.com

I have ordered from them many times. They plants come to me in very good condition and they come when they say they will arrive. They handle them like chicks..mail them Mon-Tues so it doesnt sit in the post office over the weekend...

If you call them, they will help you decide what will do best in your area. My experience is everbearing will be light producers, while June bearing are heavy producers. I had my everbearing berries at my dryer vent and got a better crop.