Recommend a water distiller?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deb, Nov 27, 2005.

1. deb

deb Well-Known Member

We have some quality issues with our well water and we currently buy drinking water. We have already looked into getting an RO system, but have shelved that idea do to the cost (for the stystem itself and retrofitting it to work with our 1865 house).

I am wondering if a small water distiller would actually fit our needs better since there are just 2 of us. I've done some web searching and have seen a couple of smaller models, some being made from plastic and one that is all stainless steel.

Does anyone have any experience in using small water distillers? Any advice or opinions about plastic vs. stainless steel?

Any advice would be most appreciated

deb
    in wi

2. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Why do you want to distill it?

If you just want to filter it, the Big Berkey is supposed to be great. We're getting one as soon as our contract is up with the bottled water company.

3. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

I've use a small water distiller in a former residence. It was a unit that Sears sells, stainless steel inside. We had iron in the water and filtered it before the house but distilled our drinking water. It got most of the taste, but was a mess to clean the distiller and eventually you couldn't remove the taste. That said , it was better than nothing. You had to be dilegent about keeping ahead of the water need, it takes a while to distill a gallon .
    If I were doing it over I'd look for another solution, maybe a Berky.

Halo

4. claytonpiano

claytonpiano Well-Known Member Supporter

We have similar issues with our water. It is full of minerals. We therefore, distill all of our drinking water. We have a small one on the counter. To make things simpler we have a crock with a spout that we pour the water in and a second one in reserve. That way, if we have company, there is plenty. We just rotate which one we empty first. I usually start the distiller just as we go to bed and it is finished in the morning when we get up. Sometimes, when all the kids will be here we run it during the day also. We've had ours for 3 years and never had a problem with it.

5. tonto

tonto Well-Known Member

claytonpiano,

What kind of distiller do you use? I'm especially interested since I would love
    a high capacity distiller that I could trust to run over night.

I'm very interested in this topic, so if any one else has info on what
    has and has not worked for them, I would be very interested.

I'm sure other people would also.

-tonto

6. deb

deb Well-Known Member

Which Distiller do you have? Where did you get it?

To answer an earlier question: We have Nitrates in our water. A RO filter could remove most of the nitrates, but the as-is water pressure from our well/pump isn't high enough for RO to work properly. We would have to install an extra pump to force the well water through the RO at the proper pressure. To ensure that the RO system & extra pump works consistantly, we would also have prefilter the well water for sediment and then soften it before it goes through the extra pump to RO.

The additional processing increases both the start-up cost for the system and the ongoing cost of maintaining the system. Each additional step also produces more waste water...(water used to flush the softener or flush the RO filters) which has to go through our older septic system.

Any details about your Distiller would be most appreciated
    deb
    in wi

7. deb

deb Well-Known Member

Surely someone must use a water distiller here!

deb
    in wi