Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.................I'm in neeed of a digital camera as I maybe traveling to NM to look a small tract of land . I'm looking for a good camera , easy to use that I can photo's with of this property to store on my pooter at home . I'll also be taking lots of other pics as well . , thanks , fordy

·
Registered
166 Posts
Lots of bargains on Newegg and tigerdirect right now. Anything that canon makes works great I would imagine. I use a Fuji Finepics that works like majic but uses a proprietory memory card that I am afraid will get pretty hard to find as time goes by and more manufacturers lean towards the SD cards.

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
My story. We bought a Cannon years ago, I don't remember the model number, and after a while it screwed up. I called Cannon and they told me to mail the cam to them and they'd fix it. I did, they did and did it quickly and w/o any hassles. Right then and their I told the wife the next digicam we bought would be a Cannon. It was, along with the latest one and the one we are going to buy for our daughter and her husband for Christmas. We usually buy a model priced between $150 and $200, not top of the line but not the lowest either.

The wife drive a truck and the digicam goes with her. The digicam endures 10+ hour per day 4-6 days a week in a bouncing truck. It takes the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter. I mention this to let you know how well the digicam holds up.

·
Voice of Reason
53,243 Posts
Quite frankly, I would be looking to spend around $50 for what you need. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do what you need to do with a 5 megapixel camera, but there is no longer any financial incentive in getting anything less than an 8 megapixel camera.

The things I would insist on are motorized zoom, the ability to make movie clips in AVI format (not quicktime, for God's sake), and a camera that is powered by standard AA batteries (forget those expensive proprietary batteries). Here's exactly what I would be getting if I were looking for a digital camera right now.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PUR-I834-R&cat=CAM

Not a bad deal at $57.99, particularly since shipping is only $1.99 for that item.

You'll also need a SD memory chip, but those are inexpensive and easy to find locally, even at Walmart. A 1 gig SD chip should be more than enough for your needs.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Hey, thanks Nevada! I missed getting a camera today, sold out by the time I got there. I was looking at 10 MP cameras, but this one looks pretty good. It will be my first, so I don't expect a whole lot and therefore don't want to spend a whole lot either. I'm going to order one right now!

Uh, sorry for horning in Fordy, lol. :)

Edited to add: I ordered mine! Should be here in a few days. Thanks again!

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
I don't usually agree with nevada, but he is right. $300.00 is a whole lot to spend on digital cameras, and there are lots of excellent ones for much less. The one he showed you looks great.

I carry a small Olympus FE 120 in my purse. I paid $38.00 on ebay. It paid for itsself the first month. We were involved in a car accident, and the police officer decided it was DH's fault. I took pictures at the scene that showed the other guy's skid marks on the roadway, that really weren't visible to the naked eye, but showed up beautifully in the pictures.

I emailed the pictures to our insurance adjuster, and she agreed that in order to skid for such a distance the other driver had to be going way over the 25 mph speed limit. She refunded our $500.00 deductable and showed it as not being our fault in our insurance record.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Nikon S710
We just bought one. It is great. You can look at your pictures directly on your TV. It has a great zoom. You can enlarge a picture that you can took to the point that you can see pores on people's faces without it being blurry. DH could tell you all the ins and outs - but he researches and researches before he buys anything.

It was right at $300. Beware - you can find it for less but it is not the English version. Make sure you get one where the directions that show up on the screen are in English rather than Japanese.

It might be pricey, but it all depends on what you want your camera to do and how it does it.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
I bought a Fujifilm A900 about a year ago. I liked the Fuji software they bundled plus I wanted a camera that DID NOT use a proprietary battery. The A900 uses two AA batteries. I use NiMH batteries which can be recharged more times than you'd care to count. I carry an extra pair in case the ones in the camera start to die. The A900 takes two different memory cards. Neither are proprietary.

The camera is shirt pocket sized, 9 megapixel, 4x optical zoom and a longer digital zoom. They're currently listed on eBay for under a $100. I have not babied mine. It's been banged around a lot. It's been slammed into scaffolding as I've climbed and dropped with my coat when I've forgotten it was in the pocket. the chrome finish is worn off on all the edges. I use it primarily on a construction job where the camera has been exposed to lots of dust.

To date I've probably taken about 6,000 to 7,000 pictures. All currently reside on my computer. I've never had a problem. It's been one tough little camera. The controls are fairly simple. You don't have to read and memorize the whole manual to immediately use it.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I've bought several Canon PowerShot A590 IS Digital Camera for work. Everyone loves them.

8.0 Megapixel
4x Optical Zoom
2.5" LCD Display
Optical Image Stabilization < that is what the IS means
High Sensitivity (ISO 1600)
Easy Mode
Face Detection & Motion Detection
In-Camera Red-Eye Correction