Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Premium Member
34,870 Posts
I almost bought a metal box that sets on top of a wood stove to hold the heat and make it work like an oven. A few months later hubby brought a metal 4 sided box home from a remodel at work. I forgot about it until now. If I can find the time to clean up the box I might do some experimentation with the flatbread and tortilla recipes I posted in another thread.

· Super Moderator
11,633 Posts
camp stove , grill , Dutch oven and charcoal, fire

while any recipe can be converted , I have made a pumpkin pie in a Dutch oven with charcoal a well as a cake they take a LOT more care to get your heat and regulate your heat.

things that can be done on a simple stove burner convert much easier

· Super Moderator
11,633 Posts
I almost bought a metal box that sets on top of a wood stove to hold the heat and make it work like an oven. A few months later hubby brought a metal 4 sided box home from a remodel at work. I forgot about it until now. If I can find the time to clean up the box I might do some experimentation with the flatbread and tortilla recipes I posted in another thread.
fry bread and tortillas only need a flat bottom cast iron , they are so thin they can cook flip cook
think central American woman cooking over a small fire with a griddle

here is the modern version with a stove

· Super Moderator
11,633 Posts
Thank you for this video, it was very interesting to watch it, learn something new, are there any other similar videos?
Townsends has a store and a very active YouTube channel lots of great living history stuff he sells supplies to re-enactors and historic interpreters , all things US early history

· Premium Member
34,870 Posts
fry bread and tortillas only need a flat bottom cast iron , they are so thin they can cook flip cook
think central American woman cooking over a small fire with a griddle

here is the modern version with a stove
I considered trying the corn tortilla recipe I linked to in another thread over the wood stove on a griddle this winter.

If I can finally get around to cleaning up the front yard enough to put the grill out, I will do more outdoor cooking. I've got a beautiful grill and a 40 gallon trash bag full of charcoal but it hasn't been used since my son moved out and left the stuff.

· Super Moderator
11,633 Posts
How on earth do you use that oven?
watch the video , you build a fire in it heat it up then while the oven is hot you cook
if htey are bigger you can keep a fire going at the back and keep moving things in and out

I know some folks that had a mobile wood fired pizza oven they were a Mobile restaurant ,like a food truck/trailer with different license more event based than just set up on a street.

his wife and daughter made your pizza to order onside a screen tent then they had a little door the opened and slid your pizza out it needed maybe 90 seconds to cook it was such an intense heat

like this Mobile Wood-Fired Pizza Ovens | Brick Ovens on Wheel theirs could do 4 or 6 pizzas almost by the time you could get 4 in the first one was ready to come out so he just kept them going they could make a bunch of pizzas it took a couple hours setup the number of coolers with crusts pre-rolled out that they could keep and move limited their capacity more than the oven it could just keep craning out pizzas as fast as you could get them in and out

this is the same concept as an old bakers oven it needed to be staffed and it was kept hot all day so people would bring their stuff to get baked to the baker from the neighborhood especially in summer where they wouldn't want to fire their own ovens

· Banned
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
watch the video , you build a fire in it heat it up then while the oven is hot you cook
if htey are bigger you can keep a fire going at the back and keep moving things in and out

I know some folks that had a mobile wood fired pizza oven they were a Mobile restaurant ,like a food truck/trailer with different license more event based than just set up on a street.

his wife and daughter made your pizza to order onside a screen tent then they had a little door the opened and slid your pizza out it needed maybe 90 seconds to cook it was such an intense heat

like this Mobile Wood-Fired Pizza Ovens | Brick Ovens on Wheel theirs could do 4 or 6 pizzas almost by the time you could get 4 in the first one was ready to come out so he just kept them going they could make a bunch of pizzas it took a couple hours setup the number of coolers with crusts pre-rolled out that they could keep and move limited their capacity more than the oven it could just keep craning out pizzas as fast as you could get them in and out

this is the same concept as an old bakers oven it needed to be staffed and it was kept hot all day so people would bring their stuff to get baked to the baker from the neighborhood especially in summer where they wouldn't want to fire their own ovens
What video?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts