Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Haney Family Sawmill
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are remodeling a house in Dekalb County (Liberty TN) We bought the house and were robbed 7 times. The police have never caught anyone and did not even collect evidence when there was some.
We installed a burglar alarm and after two more breakins it stopped. Last week a high wind pushed open a door that I had left unlocked. And the alarm went off. The alarm company called and I informed them to call the police and then responded to the house. We now have received a letter from the sheriff's department giving us a verbal warning for wasting their time.
I realize that it is a problem if a person abuses the police but now when the alarm goes off I have to make a choice did something happen or is a robbery happening because the sheriff does not want to be bothered.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
As a former officer that responded to these alarms, if the owner knows it is a false alarm, why tie up an officers time?
We have been so busy that I pulled officers off alarms to deal with other high priority calls. A famous man once said. "the needs of the many outweigh the wants of the few".

It is the responsibility of the alarm holder to secure windows and doors. If weather causes them to malfunction, that is on the owner. We were responsible for 60000 people, not just one alarm holder,

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Sounds like a letter to the editor of the local paper is in order .Complementing them for the fine work they did on investigating the 7 break ins. Then apologizing for dragging them away from their speed traps or was it the doughnut shop . O and don't forget to thank them for to hour the secretary took away from flirting with the other cops to wight that letter . :thumb:

Or pull one of mine go by see your lawyer to arrange bail then go tell that public servant were he can stick his letter :buds:

·
Haney Family Sawmill
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are very close to moving in. The door is not a door we normally use and yes I made a mistake and did not check it when we left. I thought my wife locked it and she thought I did. We were very tired. We are normally less than 13 minutes away for now and instead of bothering the police I will respond myself. The police can clean up the mess after I gently talk to who ever is there. I realize that they can not be bothered.
I did not know the door was not secured and in the three years I have had the alarm this is the first false alarm. So they have issued a Verbal warning not to bother them unless I verify there is a problem so that is the way it is.

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
Had a friend that had a beautiful second home in a very rural area. . Had an alarm that went off one too many times due to high wind , etc. Ended up pulling it out after the sheriff said he'd be billed for any more false alarms. End of the story was the house was burglarized, set on fire and due to the large amount of ammo going off, the fire dept was afraid to get close to save it.

·
Haney Family Sawmill
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyway I have always responded anyway. There have only been two calls envolving the police before and there were defiant intrusion.
The first they removed a screen jimmied a window. They left quickly but walked on just varnished floor. The police didn't need any pictures. They then tried a side door and left fast, I do have a 120 Db alarm.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
With that kind of crime rate, on top of that attitude from the local police, I would think about flipping that house instead of moving in!

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
I have a friend who used to flip houses , he had a 2 man crew , he would buy the house and as soon as the closing was over they would hit the store with the list of everything they needed for the job , and move into the house that afternoon, the real estate sign would come out their sign would go up for sale by owner , one guy always spent the night the house was never alone from closing to closing usually one or more of the bed rooms needed very little work and they would set up in there and it was the first or last room finished. also a way to write off all your living expenses , food , heat , cell phone. because you were also on site security.

this was just outside Chicago and it was the only way to keep tools and materials from walking away or the house from being vandalized If all went well they had it sold before he made the first payment on it. they knew exactly the reasons why a bank would not give a mortgage on it to most home owners and that what they fixed every house was a perfect home inspection when done

then the bubble burst and they couldn't turn money in a month flipping houses with no living expenses and he picked a new line of work

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
As usual, the many must pay for the behavior of a few. There are people to whom the police going to their place for false alarm after false alarm means nothing. They can't see any reason fix the problems causing these repeated bad calls. Until they get a notice from the police saying they have to pay for them.
So then the people who do care get dragged into the same scenario despite their best efforts and must pay too. It's not fair but fair is not a principle easily written into regulatiom .

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
OT but because of all the oil wells going up and burning off fracking chemicals our fire departments are constantly responding to false alarms. I admit I once called one in. It was 2am and I was feeding my son when I looked out the window and there was this big fire. It wasn't until weeks later I realzied that fire was an oil rig. Glad the fire department didn't threaten me!

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
As a former officer that responded to these alarms, if the owner knows it is a false alarm, why tie up an officers time?
We have been so busy that I pulled officers off alarms to deal with other high priority calls. A famous man once said. "the needs of the many outweigh the wants of the few".

It is the responsibility of the alarm holder to secure windows and doors. If weather causes them to malfunction, that is on the owner. We were responsible for 60000 people, not just one alarm holder,
The slippeey slope......

You run out of manpower, so you don't bother responding to small deals. Not worth it.

As time goes by, everything becomes a small deal, not worth responding to.

So, the small deals mushroom - no one bothers to chase after thrm, so the small crooks can run freely, take what they want.

As they get bolder, they get bigger, and organized, and become big deals.

But the Law doesn't have the resources, and no longer cares about or has departments familiar with dealing with such stuff.

So the small deals, and the somewhat bigger deals, continue to increase, and get bigger, and get organized, unbothered by the law.

And then we have organized crime, Chicago, or Mexico, where the criminals - you know those small petty things wasn't worth bothering with - running the place, and the law is just a joke, and people get bullied about.

Yup. Not worth bothering with. Its only small unimportant stuff.

Paul

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I don't see why they don't even bother to collect blatant evidence on burglaries. All the dealings I have had with police or SO after my home or business or friends home had been broken into, they never bothered to even take prints and there were lots of prints.

After a burglary, I had to do the leg work and investigating to find the offender or offenders and then after the conviction(s) I was the one that had to call and find out where my money for restitution was every month or quarter.
I never have figured out why I am the one that usually has to do their job.
My alarm is set to where the sirens go off and it calls mine and my wife's cell numbers. No one else. I figure they won't respond anyway.

·
Premium Member
25,168 Posts
I didn't see where the op had false alarm after false alarm. Maybe someone who did read that could point it out to me.

But I do agree with selling asap. How long have you owned this burglar playground? It's got to be someone who knows the area. Set up some cameras with remote feed so you can monitor the situation from your computer.

BTW, not knowing the door was unlocked, I also would have called police just in case someone had got inside and was waiting with evil intentions.

I know what you mean about police not collecting evidence. Someone did a drive-by shooting here. Yes the police collected the casings but told me they wouldn't be doing any fingerprinting on them.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Has there ever been a time when the police did forensic work on small burglaries? The only time I ever heard of it was when it was a major theft in an institution like a bank. Mostly they act only when there are multiples of the same sort of thing.

There has come to be a problem with what tax money is spent to get. For one thing, public services like police and fire, at least around here, have salaries of 6 figures, free health care, early retirement and a substantial pension.
And as people become very expensive, there are fewer of them that local government can afford. And then they are required to do more and more and become less effective.

It would probably much better to have many more police on the street but they would have to get less salary and pensiin to be affordable. I can't see tgat happening easily.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Around here you get one freeby in a 6 mos time period then you are charged.

·
Premium Member
25,168 Posts
Around here when the municipalities want to hire more emergency personnel they just raise taxes. But they also keep any recovered items unless you have your social security number visibly engraved on your items. Once they get a good collection of stolen items they offer you the opportunity to buy them back when they have their "unclaimed goods" auction. That money goes into the police general fund.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts