Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got water (flowing well) and electricity in place at a concrete pad in what will be my winter pig pasture. Can anybody recommend a suitable hog waterer that will work through a Minnesota winter? Temps can get way below zero for extended periods here so I'm thinking an insulated and heated watering device might be the way to go.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tires.

I live in south eastern south dakota. I put in a tractor tire waterer and it works pretty well. Much better than the galvanized stock tank I had before. Drop in a simple submerged heater and it's been great. The hogs can't knock it around, the rubber never gets so cold and wet that it peels at their skin, and the black absorbs heat.

If I wanted to fancy it up, I'd bring up a water line from underneath and put the whole thing on a fill valve.

Plus I like that it's an open water source, and not a small hole for their mouths like an automatic style. I've had some big breeding hogs that had a hard time getting their heads into those small access holes.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
We use running water from a spring that flows through black plastic pipes to 65 gallon plastic drums set in the ground with an opening at the top. During the worst cold we use a cover at night. Wind block is important.

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2012/12/27/winter-whey-water/

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2014/12/15/winter-waterer-shroud/

We're in the central mountains of northern Vermont. It gets a bit cold here. USDA Zone 3.

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2016/02/14/off-the-charts-at-90f-and-colder-than-hell/

Probably like MN.

-Walter

·
Registered
397 Posts
$433. for the Mirafount model, and unsure of the price of the Smidley hog bars?

I guess for someone only raising a few pigs, this seems like too much to spend.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$433. for the Mirafount model, and unsure of the price of the Smidley hog bars?

I guess for someone only raising a few pigs, this seems like too much to spend.
I agree that it is a lot of money to water 6 pigs but my goal is to get up to more like 20 in the near future. And, I bet that after carrying water twice a day in subfreezing temps for a few months it would seem like a bargain! (if it works)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think our waterers were about 350 but those were 4 hole ones. Check Craigslist. Even if the heaters are shot you can go online and get new elements and thermostats if they need them. Very simple to repair. The stainless will last forever

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is what we have. Its a regular 100 gal. ( i think) poly stock tank that has a trough that fills with water by gravity (pic 2). It also has a place directly across from the float assembly for a plug style deicer. We just got it this year so haven't tried it in winter yet, but love how it works so far. Two things you have to remember is to keep the trough fairly clean as sediment will clog the reservoir and to keep it as level as possible for good fill. We have 5 pigs and they are never out of water and they even use it as a scratching post without knocking it over. Here is the link for Fleet Farm as that's where we got ours. Hopefully you have one close to you! http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/freeland-100-gal-poly-tuf-stock-tank-with-hog-waterer/0000000033230 Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Those big tanks with the hog trough work with a tank heater work but are a huge pita to keep clean to stop the float from hanging up

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been using a 55gallon drum with nipple waterer and floating heater for years. Colorado high country, Zone 4. In the winter i fill it to half, i have also spray painted the drums black. Drum $35, nipple $15-$25. The only bad part is the monthly heating bill about $15-$20 per month for two heaters running. Never had a freeze up yet.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't use float valves because they are unreliable and jam up.

I also don't clean troughs. That's a job for pigs. Dirt in the bottom dissolves putting minerals into the pigs.

-Walter
So, you use this without the use of the float? Is that what you are saying?

We have one of these too and seemed to have big problems with the float and also the tank not being or staying level.

Maybe i don't understand how it works, as I have not had anything to do with them other than feed them, and refill the water.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
I use 65 gallon drums, 55 gallon drums, 100 gallon cattle troughs, 300 gallon cattle troughs and the bottom parts of barrels. I set them in the ground typically to reduce the lip height for the pigs and I put rocks in the bottom so the pigs can get out if they fall (get pushed) in. The water simply flows in from a pipe (1", 2", 4") and overflow flows out to the next trough or barrel. This creates a watering hole that stays full - the pig's point of view. They don't know or care about the engineering. :)

-Walter

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got water (flowing well) and electricity in place at a concrete pad in what will be my winter pig pasture. Can anybody recommend a suitable hog waterer that will work through a Minnesota winter? Temps can get way below zero for extended periods here so I'm thinking an insulated and heated watering device might be the way to go.
I know this post is older, but I made a few pig waterers for our farm and they work well. They hold almost 300 gallons and can be moved by hand. They do require 110v, but they don’t use much power. I cover them in 1/2” plywood to protect them from the pigs. The tank and cup are heated.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
I know this post is older, but I made a few pig waterers for our farm and they work well. They hold almost 300 gallons and can be moved by hand. They do require 110v, but they don’t use much power. I cover them in 1/2” plywood to protect them from the pigs. The tank and cup are heated.
WOW!

That is an impressive hog water set up! That looks awesome! Heated besides! Have you put it into use?

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have been using them for two years. The electric bill hardly changes. The tanks sit out under a lean-to behind the barn. No ice, no hauling water, just run the hose every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
WOW! This seems awesome. We had problems with our water set ups. Mainly because we had to bring water to them, as we don’t have running water at our property where we had space for them. Also felt we would have so many issues with winter freezing even if we did have water.

Thanks for sharing a great idea!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts