Rebreeding Issues

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Back2Basix, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

I bred my does in May with no issues. Process was smooth, he fell off a few times, and i bred then again 4-5hrs later. Well now the kits are 10 weeks and have been separated for at least 3weeks to their own cages fattening up for butchering.

Bred one doe perfect (3 fall offs) but when i tried to put her in again the next morning, she got very angry and bit his neck, thankfully no blood was drawn so i figured she's pregnant and that was her way of saying "LEAVE ME ALONE"

My other doe has been quiet reluctant though. She just won't lift. He'll mount her, groom her, lay with her, but she's got her head in the corner and seems stressed out. Thankfully she's not trying to attack him though....yet!!

So I'm going to try black oil sunflower seeds and apple cider vinegar and maybe try her again Sunday. It hasn't been super hot but 60's at night and low 80's during the day. I've tried mornings and evenings with her but nothing yet. Her last litter was 6 kits and no deaths, all still healthy and look yummy!!!

Anything else i can try???

2. Back2Basix

I'll also add that all 3 seem to be molting possibly. My buck has been shedding like CRAZY for a month and I've noticed the does have about 70% hair loss on the ears and shedding a little.

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Just seen this---hope its not to late----Have you checked them for ear mites?

4. Back2Basix

I have not and wouldn't know how to.

I tried breeding last night again but she still wouldn't lift

5. Back2Basix

I was thinking about putting them in a pen in the yard, maybe that would calm her a little???

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Does the inside if the ears look good--like smooth skin or lots of scabs?

7. Back2Basix

All smooth skin. No marks, scabs, redness... The only thing weird is most the hair has sloughed off but they look perfectly healthy. I can take a picture when i get home

Fire-Man likes this.
  8. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

I haven't raised rabbits, so I'm just an "arm chair warrior" at this point, but...... :) I've seen some folks say they hold the female and raise her for the male. I don't know how you go about that, but if she's just reluctant and not combative, have you thought about trying that? Was the breeding in May her first? Even though it went smoothly, maybe it was traumatic for her somehow and she needs more coaxing this time around. When my son was born at 10 lbs. 5 oz., my wife told me "the baby factory is closed"..... maybe it's something similar? :)

9. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, other thing I was thinking..... even though it's just the 80's, to me sometimes it seems animals just "know", kind of like how the flowers know they're supposed to bloom. Even though 80's is not that hot for us during the summer, with the fur coming off and all, maybe they just "know" it's hot and it's "break time". You might have to just be patient and wait another month or so to get "fall in the air" and see what happens then. You might want to be looking at some of her offspring to possibly replace her though, just in case.

10. Back2Basix

I plan on processing their offspring shortly but i guess i could keep a doe-ling separate and hope for the best. I've got the extra kit anyways

11. Back2Basix

[​IMG]

No signs of ear mites

Fire-Man likes this.
  12. Back2Basix

[​IMG]

She's just a lot more skittish now than the others. Loves the corners when i approach the cage