Rebates

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by hunter63, Dec 25, 2006.

1. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

News story last nite, rebates that aren't really rebates.
    Seem that a few companies are sending you "checks" as a "rebate".
    These are from a company that you didn't do business with.

http://www.todaystmj4.com/_content/news/special/story_6221.asp

It is a check alright, but cashing it signs you up to a service that "Gets you better prices" for the low, low price of $89 bucks, or what ever.

Personally I hate rebates, so avoid them like the plague,(if the deal is that good take off the rebate before I buy it), but I know a lot of people that really go for them.

So just be careful with "the check" and read the fine print recieved from a company ypou don't know.

2. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the rebates either.

We have rebates over here but they just jack the price up a good 50 bucks and say you'll get 49.99 back LOL! Since Christmas holidays end tomorrow everything will go back down to normal price and you won't see a rebate for another 12 months.

Kat

3. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Sometimes you can find VERY low prices with rebates. CompUSA is probably the biggest of these; they offer store rebates in addition to manufacturer's. I will use them if I can really find a great deal, but would prefer not to bother with them if I had a choice. It takes forever to get those checks, and occasionally I screw up and forget to send in the rebate...which is what they're counting on when they offer low prices!

What's also a pain is that some companies are sending those "credit cards" instead of rebate checks. I recently got one from Cingular when I bought a new cell phone. It was supposed to be for $40 on a one-use Visa card, but it had to be activated first. I tried to activate it online, the site said "all done" but it wouldn't work when I tried to spend it at the grocery. Grrrr!

4. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

When I ordered this Dell there was a $350 Mail In Rebate. So at that I upgraded many things on this computer and still even after the rebate I got a good deal. And it was only 3 weeks and I had Dells rebate in the mail and used it pay down more on the computer just ordered. That was quite a large rebate from Dell but I made good use of it also~!

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Menards, a large building center regulary offers rebates on low dollar items that everyone uses. Could be a $5.98 item with a $5.00 rebate. The only glitch is the rebates come in the form of a store credit voucher. You have to cash it at their store. I have no problem with that because I like to shop there. They got all that stuff men can use.

6. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I rebate at least once a month and have never had an issue, but then again I pay attention to what I'm doing and know what rebates are due to come in. It's really easy to not get scamed if one pays attention.

7. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

I do literally $100's of dollars in rebates (in a good month). As long as you follow the rules and read everything you can come out ahead. I generally use rebate money to fund my IRA's. Rebate checks go straight into that acoount.