Reasonable cost of Simple Survey ???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Oct 23, 2006.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................The closing on the sale of my property was tenatively set for the 31st. I agreed to pay the survey and informed the realtor I expected the survey to be around 500 since all my property is a rectangle and all 4 corners have had pipe set on the pins when purchased . Additionally , there is NO cutting of brush , etc . or any work to do other than shoot in the corners and workup the meets and bounds for a legal description .
    ....................So , the relator informed me tonite that the surveyor wants 1000 to do the job and it'll take them "All day" to do the field work . I told her I wasn't going to pay 1000 and to find another surveyor who'd charge a reasonable fee . Besides , it seems their modus operandi is to walk around with a GPS and copy down the readings or some such . A 1000 just seems about double what he should should charge .
    ......................Anyone had to pay a ridiculous fee for a simple survey when you sold your property.........or..........Am I just out of touch with current survey costs??? comments , thanks , fordy... :shrug:

2. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

How much land, located where?

I suppose it depends on where you are located as to whether $1,000 is high, low or about right, assuming you are talking about less than an acre without a house or other improvements located on it.

Prices vary considerably around the U.S. from as low as $125 to maybe $5,000 for simple surveys (of less than an acre with no improvements located thereon).

While I rarely get 'simple surveys' to perform, there's usually a problem even with what initially appear to be simple surveys, I can say I figure even simple jobs will take at least 12 hours @ $80/hour of research, fieldwork, computation, drafting and preparation of reports. (Note - I am a self-employed licensed land surveyor in WNC), The price differences among states is due largely to very non-homogenous minimum-technical standards required by the various staes.

BTW, GPS equipment to perform accurate land surveys can costs $75,000 to equip one crew and GPS is not particularly cost-effective for the conduct of 'simple surveys', except in wide open country. For wooded, thick areas, an electronic total station is still the tool of choice.

Per foot price locally here, generally is about $1.00/foot on small acreage jobs, somewhat less per foot on larger acreage jobs.

Shop around, you may or may not get what you pay for. Of course, with the land boom here, you could not possibly get a survey here by the 31st., if you orderedit tomorrow, unless you are talking the 31st. of January, 2007.

3. terrythetaod

terrythetaod Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the cost of a survey is (roughly) based on the perimeter of the property. I was recently given an estimate of 35 cents per linear foot of perimeter.

(I didn't buy the property, so I never had to get the survey done -- I can't give you an exact figure.)

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............BTW , this property is relatively small , 265 x 822 , both sides being equal and absolutely NO visual impairments for line of sight . thanks for your input . fordy... :)

5. hillsidedigger

Around here, $1,000 would be a major bargain for a 5 acre survey, but this area is thick and hilly with terrible title histories/descriptions/monumentation/occupation on almost all tracts of land.

6. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

If the survey wasn't written into the contract, how about seeing if the buyer will go halves with you. That way you get the survey done and you're only out 5oo each.

When we had our survey done it was a lot more than a thousand bucks. They engineers were out here for about three days and measured everything starting at an old Great Southern corner stake located across the road. It was well worth it because it ended an argument with the idiot across the hollow as to where the property line actually was.

7. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Our seller paid for our survey - $200 for a simple survey of 6 acres (a fence survey would have been $600). I'm not really impressed with the survey - the report said "we found two pins" - yeah, the 2 along the road, but there are 5 corners (one missing a pin) and I found them easily enough from the land description. I guess you get what you pay for. Oh yeah, the seller chose the surveyor and I am sure he picked the cheapest - I would too.

8. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Reasonable cost? In this day & age of corporate executives, entertainers and professional athletes making $10,000,000 salaries, there is no such thing as reasonable cost anymore.

Nearly everyone charges "what the traffic will bear". $1000 sounds high for a simple survey, but if thats the going rate in your location, it doesn't matter.

9. Tamalama

Tamalama Well-Known Member

We paid $2255.00 just last month...for 10 acres...it's mostly heavy brush and woods and had never been done before, seemed expensive but how do you argue??

10. whitewolf

whitewolf Well-Known Member

I don't know where you are located at, but we had a 'not so simple" survey run on 40 acres about a year ago and it cost us $1500.00. Took him a total of a couple of long days to do it. Alot of hills and hollars. Of course now that I think of it. He had one end already run from another recent survey and the main road was one of the lines too. So in reality, he only had 2 sides to run....but like I said they were pretty tough. I am in northern MS, if that helps any. I would shop around, IMO.

Whitewolf

11. hillsidedigger

One question:

How much is the realtor going to earn from this conveyance, what did the realtor really do and what sort of liablility and for how long is the realtor responsible?

Further comment:

Some states allow 'simple surveys' which aren't much more than glorified deed plots with maybe a new piece of flagging tied here and there.
    In other states, these pseudo-surveys would be considered sub-standard and these states require even the simplest legal survey to include that all corners are marked, all fencelines and other features near the boundaries are spotted and plotted accurately on the plat and that all issues among the tract being surveyed and the adjoining descriptions/occupation be reconciled.

From reading the original post by 'fordy' it appears the property was surveyed when fordy purchased the land and so the same surveyor should be able to re-inspect the property and deliver a current plat for much less effort than any other surveyor.

12. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

With the legal issues withboarder wars, I doubt there is such a thing as a 'simple' survey these days. Should someone argue the survey, there iwll be a lot of cost & liability. _That_ is what one pays for when doing a survey.......

How complicated is the paperwork on this property - how much office time is spent figuring out the possible many different legal discriptions & previous surveys on thi property? Again, that is what one pays for.

The actual foot work probably doesn't cost all that much. But, without the company standing behind their work, and without investigating the actual legal descriptions, what good is the 'simple footwork' of surveying?

You kinda get what you pay for there, & I'm not sure what it is one wishes to get with a 'simple survey'.

As mentioned, if this has been surveyed before, go back to that compny. Will be much cheaper as they only need to review their records - cutting out much of the paperwork expense.

In my case, the original survey company was bough out by the big area survey company; the building burned & all records lost, & the big company doesn't seem able to survey their way out of apaper bag, moving out property line 25 feet on resurveying for road work. Old iron was found, bulldozer removed it the following morning; resurveyed it when we complained with a tape - allowed 8' per 100 for ground slope on our side, zero per hundred on the other side - our land dips down, other land rises up same elevation????

And so on.

Surveys are just a guess, get 5 & you will have 5 different lines.

I don't know what a 'simple' survey is. If it won't count for anything, it's not worth $100, and if it will someday need to stand up in court, it can be worth $20,000......

A thousand sounds like a lot, but depends what they need to do, and what the point of it is. If you want some sort of promise that those markers are good for all time, they will need some bucks to navigate the legal systems of property protection and give you a real, solid, property lines?

--->Paul