Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little while back we had a thread about how some folks really enjoy rearranging their furniture and other people wish it was just bolted to the floor, LOL! Remember that?

I am a chronic re-arranger. I get very bored of having furniture in the same place for more than a few months and it really irritates me when there's only one logical place for the furniture in a room. Our living room is like that, but I WILL find an alternative even if it means re-wiring the cable outlet! :D It also irritates me when I can't easily move the furniture myself. Like our piano. There's no way I can move it myself, though over the years I've tried a few times. I screwed up the NEW vinyl floor in our dining room that way at the old house (yes, the piano was in the dining room). Oops.

Rearranging the furniture is sort of like moving to a new house without all the expense and hassle. :) It's also the very best way to get everything cleaned and organized. I'm always amazed at how much junk is under the couch. And how many pounds of pet hair.

My rearranging desires seem to coincide with changing seasons. Fall is coming soon, along with the kids returning to school. That means I'll be rearranging the whole house one room at a time. I'd like to do some painting and add some new curtains too, but we'll see how it goes. I really need to shampoo the carpets as well. They're SO filthy.

I rearranged my office/sewing room today. Kind of silly really, all I did was switch around two desks (my PC desk and my antique fold-out desk), and reverse the places of my cutting table and sewing desk. Untangled some computer wires, retrieved my wireless router from where it'd fallen behind a desk, put the printer where I could reach it better. Also tossed a lot of trash, reorganized my Girl Scouts stuff and my Avon stuff, boxed up some fabric and half-finished projects I'd been piling in a corner (love those Avon boxes -- shipments come in nice boxes with lids similar to paper boxes) labeled them and stacked them in the closet...vacuumed the carpet really well (thread snips, snack crumbs and centipede carcasses!), washed all the quilt basting spray and stuck-on fuzz off the wall behind the cutting table, dusted everything. WOW, it's like a whole new room. Well, not really...but it's a lot cleaner at least. :)

This is the room where I spend most of my time, working on my "real" business, Avon, Girl Scouts, sewing, doing household business, and just messing around on the PC like now. Sad that it's in the basement; sometimes I hardly know if it's sunny or raining (one of these days I'm building an above-ground office space, I swear I will) So it makes sense to start here. The kids go back to school NEXT THURSDAY!!!! SO much work is coming up, and I can't do it all unless I'm organized. I feel a lot better about it now.

How 'bout you? Got any similar projects in mind or in progress?

Which room are you attacking next? I haven't decided for sure, but I think mine is the kitchen. Though I might wait on that till the end of canning season so I can get serious about cleaning up all the splatters. :)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm in the middle of trying to put my sewing room and one guest bedroom back together. I had to take everything out of the guest bedroom because I finally decided the only way to rearrange and redecorate in there was to move everything out and start with a clean slate. Most of the stuff went into the sewing room for the short term, but I am not yet through redoing the guest bedroom. I had a bed in there, but got rid of it and instead put a sleeper sofa in and am trying to do a sort of country primitive theme so that the room can be used for a guest bedroom but also a place for guests to just hang out if they want some alone time. I have some prim style game boards on one wall, an antique chiffarobe on another, a grapevine and berry wreath, and a lamp I made out of a rusty old Dietz lantern I painted blue. I just need to figure out where to put everything now. I really need to paint that room because the walls are so banged up and scuffed. I'm going to paint the walls a color but haven't decided on a color yet, it should be something that will reflect the country prim style. I also have some prim style wallpaper border I intend to use, maybe I can pull a paint color from that.

I've only been working on this project for a couple of months :rolleyes: I am slow as a snail when doing things. I want them to look nice, and it just seems to take forever. I don't have the gift of being able to just look at a pile of stuff and say 'this should go here and that should go there'. I have to actually move things around on the walls and step back and take a look to see if it's balanced or even looks right to begin with. Oh, the nail holes I have to fill....

My favorite magazine is Country Sampler because they do so much with the country primitive and cottage styles.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
edayna said:
It also irritates me when I can't easily move the furniture myself. Like our piano. There's no way I can move it myself, though over the years I've tried a few times. I screwed up the NEW vinyl floor in our dining room that way at the old house (yes, the piano was in the dining room). Oops.

Hi there,

What you need are some of those "furniture movers". They're little plastic disks with rubber padding on one side. You just stick them under the legs of whatever you want to move, and you could move a rhino across the floor, lol. I've moved a fully loaded freezer, my queen size bed and a 9' long by 6' tall entertainment center fully loaded with tv, dvd, stereo, videos, CDs, books, and knicknacks only using two fingers. They're the greatest invention in years.

I know what you mean about rearranging rooms though. It's almost as good as moving. I used to rearrange my house ever few months (used to drive my ex crazy!) I've had serious health problems for the past couple of years so haven't been able to do it as much, and I get so sick of everything being in the same place all the time.

I just moved here three months ago, and the back room is sort of like a sun room, all closed in but with windows on three sides. I thought it would be a perfect place for my office/craft room. Big mistake! With the over-100 temps we've been having here lately and all this glass I'm sweltering! But I'd have to get my son to come move everything for me to change it to another room now, and I'd have to rewire the phone lines and computer and cable outlets also, so I'm stuck.

On one end of the room I have my desk, computer, printer, TV, and DVD player, and on the other end I have my sewing machine, crafts supplies and books and my cookbooks (I have about 500). So this is the room I spend the most time in - I don't really even need a living room, I'm never in there.

My newest project is to restore the two (yes two!) old treadle sewing machines my son just bought me. One is a 1913 White with a beautifully carved cabinet with fleur de lis flowers on it, and the other is a 1910 Singer that needs a lot of work. I'm so excited - I've wanted a treadle machine for years. I learned to sew on the old Singer my grandma had when I was young. I also taught myself to play her old pump organ, and I want one of those too, but they go for $5000 and up, so that may just remain a dream, lol.

calliemoonbeam (moon)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Oh, I had to rearrange our rooms regularly. Until we got some new furniture and the configuration is perfect, comfortable, and looks spacious. I have no desire to rearrange furniture in this room again. Same thing in my work room, except for the removal of a couple of pieces that are hogging too much space.

The rooms that I like to rearrange the most are the ones that I'm most unhappy with the furniture pieces. I feel like if I could just get them to be their best, there would never be a need to rearrange again, except for cleaning.

But it's fun to try out new arrangements.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RoseGarden -- from your description of the room, I don't know why, but I'm seeing delft blue and terracotta as room colors. Tell me if that works for you. ;)

Callie -- maybe if you put up insulated curtains on those big windows your sunroom/office would be easier to deal with. It sounds like a lovely place compared to my dungeon. In the sewing forum there's a thread about insulated curtains using those silver emergency-type blankets as liners. Maybe that'd be an idea for you. Congrats on the new home and the treadle machines!

About rearranging --- I have to add this --- believe it or not, my DH loves re-arranging rooms just as much if not MORE than I do! He's good at it, too!

·
Registered
108 Posts
DH hates when I start rearranging as he has stereo / DVD / gaming / computer cables and equipment that if I re-arrange, he has to re-do all the cabling, etc. Right now we are in an apartment so it's very limited and we are waiting until the rest of the kids move out or we move before we even think about getting new couches.

Diane

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Edayna,

I just read that post about the emergency blanket lining, thanks! (still working my way through the boards) That's a great idea. Money is really tight, so I've been cruising the $1 and $2 fabric tables at WalMart hoping to find some fabric and was then hoping to get some batting and make quilted curtains, but this would be better and cheaper. So far I haven't found a bolt with enough fabric in the same pattern or even two I could match up. There are 10 windows in this room to cover! Thanks again. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.