rear brakes 98 chevy blazer

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by jimh, Dec 31, 2004.

1. jimh

jimh New Member

i'm replacing the brakes on a 98 chevy blazer 4x4. does any one know how do the rear caliper compress so i can install the new pads. tried comperssing and tried turning??? any other tricks??

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Welcome new poster, Your vehicle is too new for me to have anyexperience with it but there is allways a way to do things. Apparently it has disc brakes allaround, there may be an anti backflow system; if so compression will not work as it does with earlier system, therefore use the bleeder valve to allow the fluid to exit the system so the piston will relax enought to be moved. Replace this fluid via the master cylinder after reassembly.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Your truck has the parking brake in the center of the rotor, it is actually a little drum brake mechanism inside the rotor. Your calipers should compress without any tricks as there is no parking brake mechanism in the caliper. DO NOT JUST PUSH FLUID BACK INTO THE SYSTEM!!!! Open the bleeder screw and if possible clamp the line gently so no fluid pushes back into the ABS system. Pushing fluid back in a system worked OK but shouldn't have been done on old cars and it's a definite no-no on newer vehicles with ABS. The slightest piece of dirt in the fluid pushing back into one of the valves can cause a failure of the ABS which can cost big to fix. I have seen many "get away with it" but it comes down to do you feel lucky today?