Realtors -- United Country Specfically

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Pony, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, we've decided once and for all that we're selling the land in WI. Even though the issue with the "neighbors" has been worked out, the whole thing just left a bad taste in our mouths. The land is beautiful, but we're out of there.

I did a search to find out folks' experience with United Country Realty, but the most recent post on that subject was a few years old!

Has anyone had fairly recent experience with United? How about United in Viroqua, WI?

Thanks,
    Pony!

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Yes, I had a property some distance from where I live. Others had attempted to sell the property for me with no success. I listed the property with United and it sold promptly at the price I was asking. They were eager to represent the property and sent frequent updatees on prospects. Since the sale, United has stayed in contact and would like to list another property I have. When I am ready to sel,l I will do business with United Country Realty again.

3. PineRidge

PineRidge Well-Known Member

I sold my last house with United Country. I have mixed feelings about the office I used. On the good side, the first people who looked bought the house, and paid more than asking. On the bad side....Our agent was a twit, she wanted us to ask much less than we wanted (we wouldn't budge), she only did things by fax after the first meeting, we didn't see her again until closing. She never showed our house, or advertised it, the other peoples realtor saw it and called about it. When our sale was entered into the listing service they entered it for $100,000 LESS!!!! It was corrected the next day, but still.....Our agent wasn't interested in the "country" things that our house had going for it.

I really think it was our agent who was bad. But when we were looking for a new home we called several of their offices to see property from their website and got a run around a couple of times. We also got the same type of treatment from other RE companies. Maybe they were too busy counting their money to care about a potential customer :shrug:

Their website is nice :)

edit to add, our agent didn't even get our house on the web until after it was under contract.

4. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

The office here is fantastic, went way out of there way to make the deal work -- great folks to deal with.

5. standfasttoo

standfasttoo Member

6. greenacresusa

greenacresusa Well-Known Member

We can't help from a seller's viewpoint but as a buyer we thought United Country was great!!! We used their online services to narrow our choices of what we wanted and when we used their Ash Flat Arkansas office to look and then buy they were fantastic!! From showing us the property to final closing they were always there for us and even now they touch base with us from time to time to see if they can help with anything we might need. It may be more depending on the indiviuial office than United Country themselves but we would recommend them again.

Glenn and Deb

7. Pony

The land's not actually in Viroqua -- that's just the nearest UC office.

The land is in Ferryville, about 3 miles in from the River. I think it's... hmm... the 3rd or 4th bluff in from Rt 35, about 1/4 mile north of 171.

Is your buyer looking IN Viroqua, or just the area?

If we can by-pass the realtor thing, we are happy to be more than reasonable on the price.

Let me know, and THANKS! :)

Pony!

8. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

Pony, The key to your sucess is not just finding an outfit to do business with, but the best agent they have. Agents can vary from absolute super producers who bring the majority of the volume in to an office by themselves, to absolute losers who will turn your experience into a nightmare. Too often a seller will just hire the person they meet at the door of the office, or the one who picks up the phone. I have dealt with a lot of realtors including one I had to fire, and another who I had to lay into, like a starving dog on a meat wagon, before she would actually do what she was being paid to do. That said, most are good and a few are fantastic, the key is finding the right one. Good luck

9. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

My expoerience is that it varies from office to office. As was mentioned previously, they are a franchise.

THe Office we dealth with in Maine was wonderful and responsive. We are currently dealing with several in another part of the country and One of the offices is amazing. They other one still hasn't returned our calls or our emails (It's been 2 weeks).

NIkki

10. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

:) Hey Pony!

I guess we were neighbors! I own property up Hwy 171 so I know the area and some of the realty companies around here. If you have a rustic, cabin-type place, a good realty company would be Rush Creek Realty out of DeSoto. They're pretty high as far as commission goes but they advertise in alot of big city newspapers. There is also a company in Prairie du Chien that I hear is very motivated. It's called Select Realty, I believe. They seem to be picking up more and more accounts around the area and I've heard good things about them.
    I'm sorry you're selling your property. It's beautiful around here as you know but it sounds like you had neighbor problems and that kind of stuff really puts a damper on your enjoyment of your place.

Leay

11. Pony

Hey, Leay!

Yeah, I am sorry to hear that I have/had an HT neighbor...

I did learn which realtor to avoid up there: 4 Rivers, otherwise known as Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe. Grrr!

Only found out about them AFTER the fact. And of course, by then it was too darned late. :(

But thanks for the info on the other locals!

Pony!

What I meant to say is that I am sorry I missed out on having you for a neighbor, not that I have an HT neighbor. Oy!

12. HydroDude

HydroDude Active Member

Find a good agent who will work hard for you and has a track record of success. It does not really matter which broker/franchise they hang their license with.

13. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Ah, yes....Four Rivers. They've gone through quite alot of name changes over the years. I've heard some real horror stories about them...

Leay

14. Pony

In this case, it might.

The two locals with whom we've spoken (one a part of a national chain, the other in business for himself) were only going to advertise in a 6 county area MLS, nothing else, and wanted a full commission. They were also very negative about selling in the area, and did not want to talk about marketing strategy or any possibilities.

I contacted the United office in Viroqua today, and someone got back to me almost immediately. He had extensive knowledge of the area, shot me comps via email within an hour, and told me about their extensive marketing strategy. He's the third guy we've talked to, and he'll be the first to actually get out there to look at the property.

We may yet contact Rush, because I've heard some nice things about them, but for now, I'm leaning toward United.

And Leay, yeah, how 'bout it? If half the horror stories I hear are true, it's beyond disgusting. When we go looking again for property, we're going to talk to the locals first before we do ANYthing else!

Pony!

15. standfasttoo

standfasttoo Member