Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wife, mom and doula
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to vent a bit...I just moved on t our 20 acre homestead with my family and would love to have a few dexters. I've done the research and know that they are the breed i want. But boy do I wish they were a bit more in our reach, financially!! Seems I could get a mixed breed or commom breed at a price I can afford but that's not what I want! I know they are worth what they cost but it's frustrating to want to support a heritage breed and prchase an animal that would work so well as a small fmily cow, yet not be able to!! Guess I need to grow a $ tree ;)

I know that as more people appreciate the breed and start raising them, it'll get better but for now, I suppose I'll pine for one!

Thanks for all the great info here, by the way!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Aren't any around here either, not that I've seen or heard tell of in the six years I've been lookin'. My AI tech says folks aren't interested much in "exotic breeds."

My cow's rather large, so I 'm a bit leery of having her "mother" one itty-bitty calf. Her last one [65# 1/2 Jersey] presented with his front legs under his chest and I had to get the vet out before I knew that!

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
It's a shame that you two live so far west. Look at the recent post on this forum titled "Dexter cattle for Sale" by Widow Jams. That will tell you what she is selling Dexters for in Maryland.

If yours are so high where you live, it might be worthwhile to transport them across country. It would certainly introduce new breeding stock to the West.

Genebo
Paradise Farm

G

·
doulanobles said:
Just wanted to vent a bit...I just moved on t our 20 acre homestead with my family and would love to have a few dexters. I've done the research and know that they are the breed i want. But boy do I wish they were a bit more in our reach, financially!! Seems I could get a mixed breed or commom breed at a price I can afford but that's not what I want! I know they are worth what they cost but it's frustrating to want to support a heritage breed and prchase an animal that would work so well as a small fmily cow, yet not be able to!! Guess I need to grow a $ tree ;)

I know that as more people appreciate the breed and start raising them, it'll get better but for now, I suppose I'll pine for one!

Thanks for all the great info here, by the way!
I feel your pain. We NEED a dairy animal. We've come to the conclusion that a miniature is exactly what we need. We don't have room for a large cow, and our fence isn't good enough to contain goats. But we have no money to buy a miniature. :Bawling:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi Guys,

Washington & Idaho are tough places to get started in Dexters, but Genebo is right, Iowa, Missouri & Texas are probably 3 of the 5 largest dexter states and could ship from there. The other is like Genebo said, Jams Hundred is practically giving them away to move them quickly as she is out of hay and pasture.

There is a www.DexterCattle4Sale.net list. I know that some people chose not to be on the list, so it is a good idea to go to www.dextercattle.org and click on Members, then click on Current Members and look for your state and do a search that way.

There are Texas and 1 Idaho animal on the for sale list, but you can usually find a plether of them in the Iowa to Texas Corridor.

It doesn't hurt to check around. While most charge the going rate for an animal, some people give them away like Judy has advertised and others charge crazy amounts. Color and Horn Status and Bloodline play a role too. You will likely be able to find a horned or dehorned black long leg dairy type dexter cow, much much cheaper than a polled or dun or red or shortleg.

Hope this helps!
If you would like I can add a Looking for Dexters link at the bottom of the for sale list and accomodate all of you looking for Dexters.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
181 Posts
Furholler,

I can also post them on the National for sale list for you if you are interested. You get lots of exposure and it is free or donation. You just have to be an ADCA member and the animal should be registered, but registered parents will work. PM me if you would like.

TTYL
Dan

·
Wife, mom and doula
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the insight everyone. Hubby and I decided to wait until spring and explore the possibility then. We just moved onto our 'homestead' 3 weeks ago, so I suppose I might be getting ahead of myself a bit ;)

Come spring (even though I know they'll be cheaper in the fall), I'll probably ship a cow/ calf pair over here and go from there. It'll also give me a chance to save up some money.

As far as breeding goes, should I have to expect to breed by AI sice there aren't really any bulls near here? How difficult is that?

·
Cedar Cove Farm
1,706 Posts
doulanobles said:
Thanks for the insight everyone. Hubby and I decided to wait until spring and explore the possibility then. We just moved onto our 'homestead' 3 weeks ago, so I suppose I might be getting ahead of myself a bit ;)

Come spring (even though I know they'll be cheaper in the fall), I'll probably ship a cow/ calf pair over here and go from there. It'll also give me a chance to save up some money.

As far as breeding goes, should I have to expect to breed by AI sice there aren't really any bulls near here? How difficult is that?
It is harder because of their size. You have to have someone experienced in AI with Dexters. If they have never AI'd a Dexter the success rate drops. Buy a bull, you can get years of service out of one. Mine are unregistered, therefore they are a bit cheaper. However, my cow has thrown nothing but heifers thus far. :shrug:

·
Cedar Cove Farm
1,706 Posts
Dexter_Cattle said:
Furholler,

I can also post them on the National for sale list for you if you are interested. You get lots of exposure and it is free or donation. You just have to be an ADCA member and the animal should be registered, but registered parents will work. PM me if you would like.

TTYL
Dan
Thanks anyway. Mine are unregistered.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I've been tryin for several years now with no luck. Can't get Judy to contact me back. Everyone in NY has plenty of bulls but what's the point in raising beef if it costs as much as lobster? I am looking for a cow or a calf, but nobody in this state seems to have any for sale. Took me two years to get ahold of a guy nearby and he had about a dozen and when I finally reached him he said he sold them all. In fact that has happened on two other occasions to me too! All I've seen on different boards are breeders who want to raise prices higher on them, and if you don't live in Missouri, there's not much to choose from. Save your time and $$ and look at other breeds I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.