really sick calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by madoo, Dec 17, 2005.

1. madoo

madoo New Member

I have a 5 month old brangus heifer. Mom and pop are black she is red. I found her 2 weeks ago walking with her head down (like she was a bloodhound on a trail) I could tell she was exhausted . After observing her I found that she had rubbed her nose untiil it bled. Her ears were scaley and her eye lids had scales on them. Mucous and blood on her nose, and her rear around the tail and anus has lost all of the hair and is raw and bloody?? I gave her an antibiotic shot and sprayed the infected areas with a good medication, locked her up and have been grain feeding her.
    That was over a week ago and the symtoms have not improved that much.
    The nose and bleeding is better but the raw sore on her rear is not. Her eyes and ears are now peeling but it still looks like whatever it is, it's still there.
    got any ideas???

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The tail area is heavily infested with parasites, cattle lice. Get some invermectin and treat the animal ASAP. The description you gave also indicates she has internal parasite also. The ivermectin will take care of all the parasite problems.

3. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

She might have coccidia as well - does she have loose poo? It wouldn't hurt to dose her for that too, calves that age are real susceptable to coccidia, especially when they have other health issues going on.

4. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Coccidia was my first thought, also. If the manure is loose and grayish, it would be a sure sign of it. I 'd treat with both a wormer and coccidiastat (Corid) but maybe not at the same time if she's in bad shape now. Keep up with the grain and hope she comes back ok. Lucky you found her when you did from the sounds.

Jennifer

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Once again, I would go with Agman on this one - she sounds lousy both internally and externally. Forget pumping antibiotic into her, it's not going to do one bit of good, and get some Ivomec on/into her ASAP. Keep in mind that lice and mites actually are a winter problem rather than a summer and this animal appears to have rubbed herself raw in an effort to get some relief from the irritation.

If there is no obvious improvement in her condition within a few days, have a yarn to your vet.

Cheers,
    Ronnie