Really good waterproof rubber boots?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by diane greene, Feb 15, 2005.

1. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

My all rubber knee high boots seem to crack within a few months of wear. Does anyone know a brand that lasts? I can tell you the worst are from Walmart, followed by Redball. Anyone have a brand they love? I'm willing to pay for good ones.

2. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I like and use Lacrosse..they are thick and wear a long time. I'm talking about knee high rubber chore boots. To use around the yard in muddy seasons I cut them off above the ankle and then I have good slip-on mud boots! Good luck!

3. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I had the same problem with rubber boots until I bought Muck boots. They've gone a couple of years now without problems and they're warmer in the winter. They run from $60+ to $70+ for knee highs. I didn't want to spend that much but I'm glad I did. They're worth it.

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Lacrosse are good for unlined boots (summer) and the Muck boots are warmer (winter). I used to have the same problem but the Muck boots last me at least a year. Cheaper over the long haul than new boots every month as I used to do. Muck makes a short ankle high boot that is cheaper and holds out pretty well too. I bought the high Chore boot and the short Muck boots at the same time this last time so I haven't figured out which will last me longer. I wear mine out bending the toe - it folds and wears through. I'm hoping the way the short one is put together that it will last longer but haven't confirmed that yet.

5. seraphima

seraphima Active Member

I like and use muck boots, but if your foot is the right shape, Xtra-Tufs are also good and a little cheaper. They come with or without an insulating felt liner, which is removable for drying. Lots of people wear them for fishing and cannery jobs, they hold up really well.

6. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

I would say Xtra-Tufs, also. Standard issue for bush Alaska. I've got several hard years on this pair and still going strong.

7. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a pair of Lacrosse hiking boot style. The box said gauranteed waterproof to tip of tongue for 6 months. Ive walked through 6inch deep water, and 1 year later, still peachy.

8. Buggs

Buggs Member

Wal-Mart boots are made in China and Chinese rubber is no good.

Buy rubber boots made in Canada or the USA and you can't go wrong. Everything is made in China these days and everything is going wrong, broken or trashed.

9. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Well-Known Member

Mrs. Jackpine Savage here-

Hands-down, LaCrosse. I bought my current pair in 1995- wore them almost every day, 16 hour days at work, for most of the first year after purchasing them. They have seen daily wear since then for an average of six months each year- still going strong. Best $12 I ever spent. I saw some recently at REI in Minneapolis and the price was still only $12.99.

10. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I had a firefighter friend of mine pick me up a pair of firefighter boots many years ago and they are still going strong.

11. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Our Tractor Supply sells Northerner boots, somewhere around $15 and $20. DH and I have had them a few years now and no problems. Very much like Muck, but cheaper.

12. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

With an annual rainfall of around 61 inches, mud is our middle name.

They cost, but nobody else comes close to LaCrosse. Granger for hotter weather, and Burly for the winter. Just make sure you store them in the dark, away from UV.

13. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We use LaCrosse....I have a Spring/summer pair and a winter pair..one size larger for extra socks. Steel toe rubbers can be found at sportsmans guide for cheap to if you have large animals

In the summer I am usually in flipflops...or barefoot....bad habits are hard to break :eek:

14. Blackthorne

Blackthorne Member

For tall rubber barn boots that wear forever, I still go for the good old British Wellingtons. $60. - $70. they wear with daily use, for years on end. Very much worth the initial investment.
    If you don't have any luck finding them locally, check out the horse equipment catalogs and the vet supply catalogs.

LaCrosse boots are great too.

15. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I have a pair of recycled rubber boots that has worn fairly well but really isn't wide enough at the top to tuck in my pants. The ones we wear the most were gotten at a feed store for about $18 and they have worn really well.

If I were going to buy a serious pair, I'd head over to Sierratradingpost.com where they have several brand names on sale now (in limited sizes). This is also the time of year all the hunting shoes/boots go on sale so you might get a decent deal.

This garden site I have bookmarked sells Muck and a brand called Edgewater that look really nice. You might want to check them out. http://www.jjcardinal.com/garden.htm

16. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

and this year you can spend extra on cute Wellies for good causes
    http://www.funky-wellington-boots.co.uk/pink-wellies.htm

http://www.giving-welly.co.uk/why-buy.htm

17. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Muck boots, hands down the best boot I've ever had. I even lost them in the pasture after I took them off chasing a pig :rolleyes: (don't ask) they took a lot of sunlight/heat punishment. Very comfortable also. Been using them for two years and they look and feel new.

18. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

This is one of the few forums where it sounds absolutely natural that you would take off your boots chasing a pig and not get back to them for a while. I love this place!

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Meant to mention that the recycled rubber boots were "Dunlop" brand made in Britain. Can't seem to find them anywhere now.

20. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got to party with you sometime Tango-

Without a doubt, MUCK! Although I have not had Lacross so I can not speak about them. (I also think posters should also say what they have NOT tried so the winning boot gets a fair shake.) Muck's are edgewater, that is just a style. Muck also has a stable boot that has reenforced shanks, toe and instep, a winter boot to -40, lots of slipper style shoes and my favorite is the muckster, with a special pattern that repells dog poop and mud from sticking to the bottom treads. They are located in Rockford, Illinois but various dealers, I'm sure they are on the web. The most important reason I like them is I have very large calf muscles and they are made of neoprien and strech but remain waterproof all the way to the top. -you'd think I was a salesman for the company.