really big auger for my tractor

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

My tractor has a type 2 3-point hitch. I would like to get an auger for it that will dig holes, hopefully, 4 feet deep. 5 feet deep would be nice.

Can 3-point hitch mounted augers dig that deep?

Anybody want to recommend a brand?

2. Tractorman

Tractorman Well-Known Member

I am not sure about tractor mounted augers but auger attachments for a skid steer you can just get extensions for them and dig about 10' deep I would guess the problem is going to lack of downward pressure

3. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

My standard 3-point auger (mounted on a '48 Ferguson TO20) routinely goes down to 38" the way it's set up; I could probably get a few more inches out of it if I really wanted to.

I don't see getting 4 or 5 feet from an auger "as is". I have seen "extender shafts" for augers though, usually in the 18" length range. It seems like it would be simple enough to make your own to whatever length you desire. Of course, you'll be somewhat limited by the amount of travel/digging depth capabilty of your 3-point unit when you add or remove an extender, but that problem isn't impossible to deal with. After all, look at the principle involved when drilling a well with a "Hydra-Drill" ... you'd just be working with a larger tractor-mounted version.

4. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member