Really bad Worms

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cmharris6002, Sep 11, 2006.

1. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I just bought back two babies thatI sold this spring. They look terrible, they don't even look likt they came from my herd. They are so much smaller then the babies I kept. :Bawling:

I gave them Cydectin and I have them on Red Cell. I think I need a more aggressive approach that waiting 21 days until the next dose of Cydectin. What should I do?

~Christy

2. sixstrothers

sixstrothers Hallelujah Dairy

I would treat them for cocci and give b12 along with cydectin and red cell. I have taken goats from a friend of mine and they will be small and in a couple of weeks they seem so much better. Just overloaded with worms and probably just need some good care.

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would give them also fortefied b complex. this helps with stress, curbs their appetite and helps to build red blood cells.
    you don't gain any thing if you worm in shorter interval since the life cycle of parasite is fixed.
    have the fecal checked at your vet to see what kind of parasite they have. if there is also cocci or tape worm you need a different wormer.

4. cmharris6002

Okay. I have the b fortified and I'll get a fecal.

Thanks,
    Christy

5. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

When you get the fecal done see what worms it shows and research the lifecycle of that worm. It will tell you when to reworm to break the cycle.

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I have sooooo been in your shoes before!
    I would certainly treat them for cocci asap as well as the stuff you have already done. Most of the times they just need proper care and good food. It does wonders. Just be sure to go slow on the food at first and be sure they are up-to-date on CD&T before feeding them very much........

7. cmharris6002

For cocci prevention I use Di-Methox 40% in the milk. Can I use this for treatment, if so how much, how often and for how long? If not what do you recomend?

Poor babies...

Christy

8. cmharris6002

I found this in my notes,

This is the dosage for Treatment if they have cocci.
    1 cc per 10 pound the first day, then 1/2 cc per 10 pounds days 2-5. You just squirt it in the side of their mouth. It is BITTER and nasty and they will not like it at all Be sure to give a squirt of probiotic paste also afterwards

9. ozark_jewels

I use Sulmet, but I think the Di-Methox will work too.....just never used it.

10. murphyjamie

murphyjamie Well-Known Member

I thought cydectin killed tapeworm also?

11. ozark_jewels

No, you need a white wormer for tape worms.

12. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i use di-methox 40% like this with good result :)

13. cmharris6002

White wormer? Would that be like Valbazene? Should I worm them with Valbazene next time just in case?

My vet said, that medically, there is no way that Cydectin pour-on would work orally. I told him that since others use it with good results I was going to stick with it and get the fecals to make sure it's working.

14. ozark_jewels

Yes, Valbazen is what I use for tapes as long as the doe is *not* pregnant. Safeguard and Panacur are also white wormers, and are pretty much the same thing.

Cydectin not work orally??? Tell that to all the worms I have killed by using it for the past 4 years...... :) Just don't underdose as you will build immune worms that way....

15. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Most Vets don't know much about goats. Most will not give you off label advice in this lawsuit happy Country we live in , can't blame them.

Patty

16. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give the cocci treatment in milk, this hinders the action of the medication.

When I had a bad cocci problem in a 10 babies I bought from a large dairy farm, that was compounded by my not realizing that the milk replacer was scouring them, I finally had success in eliminating the problem with Sulmet. I gave it orally in between bottles, just squirted it in the back of their mouths, then held their heads up and stroked their throats until I heard or felt them swallow. I gave the probiotics 1 to 2 hours after they had the meds. Give that too soon or with the meds and the meds will kill the probiotics the same as the natural flora.

HTH!

17. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

Calf manna, they need the extra protein if they are anemic. Maybe even some milk as a suppliment to help recollenize their rumen. Probiotics and rennet.

18. dkdairygoats

dkdairygoats Well-Known Member

The correct term is coccidia or coccidiosis, not cocci. Sorry, don't mean to be so picky but my licensed vet tech mind bugs me about that one.

Get a fecal exam done. We do them all the time at work and they can really tell a lot. There is no use wasting your money on dewormers when it may some other thing. Think about vitamin deficiencies, malnutrition, sore mouths, etc. Yes, parasites are very likely in this case, but it may not be the problem, at least not the only problem.

Be careful about pushing too much protein at one time, you don't want to cause acidosis or founder. Give them a normal amount of grain and build them up slowly. It may take them a year or more to catch up with your other kids, but it will happen in time. Also, check their hooves. If they are sore they may not have been eating right.

19. ozark_jewels

Yep, cocci is a layman term....but my vet uses it too! :)

20. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Cocci is the (broad) term that includes the organism that causes coccidiosis, so it's not really wrong to say you're treating for cocci.