Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can one purchase realistic hand tools for very little ones?? Our grandson is only 18 months old but he dearly loves his G'pa and daddy's tools... This afternoon we were outside working on the chicken run and he found a hammer and was hammering the walls, posts and of course, you know what happened next---he mashed his finger trying to hammer a pc. of pipe further into the ground!! Poor fellow, so loves tools and if the we are working, he wants to be working too... But he will have NOTHING to do with his little plastic tools! So, G'pa demanded that I find him some little tools.. Thanks for any and all suggestions help...QB

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Look into womens tools. They generally are smaller than normal. I have a miniature claw hammer that is in MY tools that are untouchable by the man of the house(which is why I know where it is). I have no idea where I got it but its existence tells me they are made.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
OUr first son was very much into "helping" and had a set of tools very early. His uncle bought him some real tools from the bargin bin that carries the really cheap tools. We did watch hime carefully as a screwdriver should not be walked with as they can trip and fall on it.

Our son spent hrs. screwing and unscrewing screws from scrap boards. The hammer was also very light and even though he might have hit other things with it it was so cute to watch him "work" with dad.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This may not be right for very little children, but I saw a nice looking set of real, working, child scale tools in a catalog called Constructive Playthings. Their website is www.constplay.com. They also have a child's workbench.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
I would NEVER give an 18 month old child any real tools.
That's simply begging for trouble
There's a REASON kids tools are lightweight plastic

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
I think I saw an Ace ad last week that had a real set of child size tools advertised in it. I'll have to go look and see if it's still good.

Shoot - I can't find the ad. But, you might want to see if there is an Ace Hardware near you that carries them.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
This is the plush set I bought for my 9 month old son, Chip...of course if your grandson doesn't like plastic, he won't like these. This set came from Personal creations. It only cost $7.98 and they personalized it for free.

Sears sells "My first Craftsman" tool sets. They are plastic, but they do look more realistic than many toy sets.

The only other option I can think of are wooden tools. Target has lots of choices, including these. They don't look as real as the Craftsmen stuff, but they are heavier than plastic toy tools.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Home Depot used to sell small tool sets for children that were pretty sturdy, but lightweight and a little smaller for a childs hands. I'm not sure if they still carry them or not. The set we got our children had a hammer, screwdrivers (with very short rods- about 1"), pliers, level, square, folding measuring stick and a nice tool bag to carry them in. Once our boys hit about 12, we buy them a nice tool box, and each year add some good quality tools to their kit. When my oldest son moved out a few years ago, he had quite a nice tool box.

Dawn

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all! Dh found a set that looks just like real tools but they are heavy plastic--not the 'kiddie' thick plastic that he now has.. So we will see if he will play with these..Thanks again QB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts