Real milk...I heard something interesting today

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kesoaps, Dec 18, 2005.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Met the brother of a friend this afternoon. She'd told me this spring (seems so long ago!) that they were considering offering raw milk. The restrictions and updates seemed too high for him to want to proceed, however, so they put it on the back burner...even turned the burner off, he said today.

However, it's been moved forward again. Seems a state official called to see how things were progressing. When he said they weren't, he found out that the state is doing what they can to get more grade A dairies going here due to the high consumer demand for raw milk....which is going hand in hand with little shareholder dairies. And they don't want backyard dairies.

I'd read an article recenly (WA tilth?) where there are now 5 or 6 grade A dairies in Washington, and the number is growing. Guess this is why! People have been converting small barns into milking parlors, some rather inexpensively. One was done for about $2500.

Guess now's the time to get your grade A up and running around here!

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

sounds great!! govt. actualy encouraging this? :dance: round these parts they treat it like nuclear waste!(no that has less restrictions) hope no one gets sick and they ban it again, used to get milk straight from the bulk tank, :lonergr: musta gained ten pounds over a year! great for making your own cheese too!! do they allow unpastureized stilton? best cheese i ever had was live culture stilton!! :rock: hope the ball keeps arolling!! hope vermont follows, have an aunt comes up all the time

3. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm that's interesting. Do you suppose that with the recent articles about raw milk in the news, that the state is finally getting the message? I'm not holding my breath though... sounds like "big brother" is just looking for another way to keep an eye on us. Guess that's the skeptic in me. I would be interested in learning more though. Has your friends brother gotten any literature on it from them?

4. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't heard about this. As the wife of a dairy farmer, the first thing I thought was, "Hmmm, a possibility to actually cut out the money-hungry co-op?" And then my second thought, "Liability concerns?"

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i am not one in favor of regulation of nearly anything. however, as one who worked in a dairy processing factory for 10 years, i can see the concern for sanitary regulation. it is really not hard to make alot of people sick really fast. that is especially true with dairy because of the transportation/handling system. one contaminated truck can contaminate its load and the next one and the factory or whatever it is delivered to. if the rest of the system of checks and balances fails, and product gets made and shipped to the public it is a great concern because dairy is "ready to eat".

chances are if the system fails it will be the deliverer and not the small farmer. i think sanitation should be monitored but ease up on the effluent restrictions and so forth. too much is too much for the little guy.

there seems to be a push now to ease sanitary regulations for dairy everywhere. i mentioned in another post of the increased length of production runs in comparison to the sanitation periods. cleaning that happened once a day in my old job became once every two or three days.

i made ice cream. it is tested for coliform bacteria that can show the levels of other more dangerous bacteria. ten identified bacterium on a culture is considered reason to sample and check for other pathogens. in europe the acceptable level is 100. perhaps america is just a bit too cautious in this regard.

6. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

RUMOR, RUMOR, RUMOR

That's all my post is, but it is a 50 year old rumor. I have no idea if it is right or wrong, but I have always heard you can sell raw milk right from the farm as animal feed, not for human consumption. I have bought it many times like that. My two legged "dogs" sure enjoyed it.

7. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I wish they would lighten up the raw milk laws in Texas. At the moment the only way I can get raw milk is to join a cow share program. It will probably be around February before I do that, I have to buy part of a cow first!

8. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I grew up drinking raw milk and also freshly made butter from the extra cream. It was delicious and I grew up healthy. I'd buy it now, if I could find it. I would like to think I'm a fairly intelligent adult type person and am fully capable of making decisions for myself. Big Brother, KEEP OUT OF MY LIFE!

9. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

Iddee-

I found this on www.realmilk.com:

North Carolina
    The sale or dispensing of raw milk for human consumption is illegal. This ban extends to cow share agreements or to any other contractual arrangement or exchange.

State law does permit farmers to "dispense" raw milk and raw milk products for animal feed.

Where I'm from, Iowa, the rules are noted as such:

Iowa
    Raw milk sales are illegal. There have been reports of violators being prosecuted.

Nice, eh? So I'll stick to my meat goats. (I do love them, though!)

T

10. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

So did I. First we had a cow. Much later it was goats. I kept a milk goat for a while later on after that, and another time I was able to buy raw milk from a dairy that was owned by a health food store owner.

I miss raw milk.

11. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow! They actually WANT farmers to sell raw milk? That's amazing! How wonderful!

It's gotta be a trick.

Jennifer

12. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

We had real milk sometimes when I was a kid. Neighbor of my Granny Pearl sold it to us after Granny stopped keeping a cow. Never could drink the stuff from the store. Tastes like chalk.

13. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

Terre d'Esprit

Thanks.

I knew I had heard it all my life, but never knew how true it was.

14. DJ in WA

DJ in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

"Do you suppose that with the recent articles about raw milk in the news, that the state is finally getting the message?"

15. dmckean44

dmckean44 Well-Known Member

I'm in california and buy Organic Pastures raw milk from the store. But I've toured their facilities and have seen how clean they are. I would probably want that option before buying raw milk from anyone. But soon I'll have my own cow and none of that will matter.

16. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

17. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

ladycat, if you will go to www.localharvest.org and search for milk you will find a few places for milk-I have also been searching! :D

18. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

The ecoli outbreak in SW Washington does point out the very real dangers of consuming raw milk. Most of the victims are children, two of the victims are in serious condition. The milk was consumed in two Washington counties and one Oregon county. The dairy operators only cooperated with health authorities trying to contact everyone who had consumed the milk after being ordered to do so by a judge. The operators had failed inspections and had not obtained the permits needed to run a share program. This is definitely going to be a black eye for the raw milk movement here in Washington and elsewhere.
    Personally, I think there is much unscientific hoopla about raw milk plus the fact that pasteurized milk has provided safe nutrition for untold millions of people. I know that a local supplier of shared raw milk speaks of pasteurized milk as if it was a deadly poison. For the kids down south of me, it is the exact opposite.

19. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

The trouble with the e-coli scare in regards to raw milk is that kids got sick...and died...after eating at Jack in the Box as well as drinking Odwalla juice. It's not the milk that got the kids sick down there, but the practices. This summer a bunch of kids got sick up here. Sickest of them all, in the hospital for 12 days, was the daughter of a vetrinarian! No raw milk consumed, just kids having a good time at the fair. And not city kids, either.

20. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

We are waiting for Ohio to allow raw milk sales. We have all these mini jersey cows, and currently dry them up and sell only the babies. We could have a huge milk market if only allowed. There is a bill in the legislature that could allow milk. If so, we will work with the milk inspector setting up a milk house. Currently the state does not see mothers milk as a adaquate form of nutrition. I will probably have to start feeding my calves formula instead of letting them nurse.
    We have been to many state meetings about this and are praying for favorable results so maybe we can sell milk.
    I would not advise anyone to buy milk unless you can tour the facility at any time and see how clean it is and learn what your cows are fed. The more grass the better for nutrition.