Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Thinking up a great tag
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. this one'll probably take the award..

About 3 weeks ago, my buckling mounted one of my does. She did not have any signs of heat at that time, but the concensus here seemed to be that she was, in fact, in heat. A few days later she went into OBVIOUS heat, hanging around flirting and wagging her tail. Since I hadn't really wanted her bred, I kept her seperated.

Overnight temps here dropped from just below freezing to low teens in the last week. Last night it was a whopping 14 degrees. All of the animals (and people) are struggling to adjust. Since I figured my girl was bred, whether I liked it or not, I put all three goats together in the barn. I was not comfortable leaving the buckling alone in that weather, even though he has decent shelter (way colder than normal for this time of year, otherwise this would not have been necessary.) He has shown zero interest in her, or she in him.

This morning, I let all three goats out together. I noticed from about 20 feet away that my girl's vulva was VERY red. I brought her into the barn, thinking she might be (miraculously) going into heat. She is not flagging, and her and the buckling are still ignoring each other. She spent the day in the barn by herself. I went up to check on her about an hr ago.

Vulva is now extremely swollen, "slit" (sorry.. I don't know another word to use there) is red, and it is quite bright. She also has discharge now as well. clear, possibly a little white. Tail is not messy though, nor did she have any discharge this morning at all.

In the very close to 5 months I have owned this goat, her vulva has never looked like this.. ever. Not even right after she was mounted (although not sure buck hit the mark).

I don't know what to think. On the one hand, it's about right for her to go into heat. On the other.. I'm confused by her sudden changes in vulva. Things look totally different there (it's always been very flat.. not now). Discharge, swelling, ok. Could be heat- but didn't look like this last time AT ALL.

I'm also aware that perhaps she had 'relations' with the buck last night after bedtime.. but jeez she certainly doesn't act like a doe who is interested at all.

She also barely touched her hay today, although she did drink most of her water (been very thirsty the last few days) and ate her grain this morning.

I threw that pg in the title simply because it will be exactly 5 months since I brought her home next week. There was a buck there. Until 3wks ago, I had never seen any sign of heat in this girl, although she's older. Also no udder growth either. Have had trouble keeping weight on her, but that could easily be an age related thing.

I'm at a loss of what to do with the buckling tonight if she is in heat. If I knew he'd gotten her, I'd just put them back together. OR if I was certain this wasnt a sign of heat. But I really don't want her bred if I can help it. Temps again today did not climb above freezing (didn't hit 30), and lows tonight will again be in the low teens. He does have a 3 1/2 sided shed for shelter, but he'll be all alone out there..

Somebody clue me in... please... :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
As you say, the timing is right for the 'pg' part. How does her udder look? Tailhead? Is she sunken in front of her hip bones? Are her teats swelling? I'd put her inside and watch her carefully tonight! You might be having kids... Jan in Co

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
Not an idiotic question, but boy! I just don't know what to tell you. Did you think at one time that this doe may be pregnant? Sorry; not much help, am I?

NeHi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts