real homesteasders

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shawnee, Jun 5, 2005.

1. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

cookiecache has started same thread "real homesteaders" on homesteading today.org...Hope we didn't chase him away?!!?

2. cookiecache

cookiecache Well-Known Member

I am searching high and low for people that have been given the chance to get a homestead. In the lottory where I got my homestead, 1995 Land for Alaskans, there was just over 50 homesteads given out. Homesteaders are out there, I just have to find them.

3. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

I hope you flush out your "real homesteaders". I know of a few in northwest Nebraska living in sandhills - talk about misery. Hardly God's country there but they took a bare neglected piece of land and have worked like dogs for l7 years. If you mean starting from scratch on a piece of worthless sandy snakey land; laughed at by govt. when they bought it, and turning it into a "home" (their definition not mine) they done dood it. Cousins of my husband, we visit them once every two years, learn something new and admire their achievements, wish them well and get the hell back to Dodge!! It does truly take a rare and valuable breed to go through what they go through and not get discouraged; some of their year-end tallies are so disheartening. Weather, heat , lack of rain ( we helped them dig 3 wells ) and darn near total solitude would drive me to suicide. But they keep on keepin' on. Bless them and bless you in your endeavor.

4. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

So, you're looking for people who have been given land by the government to live on and improve? I wish I could have found some of that. As it was, I had to buy mine for $750 an acre. But, it was raw and it was rough and I have to fight it every day so it doesn't take itself back.

5. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I hear that! The post about the $8 an acre homestead in Canada, WOW! Eight dollars ! We paid $800 per and were proud to do it. What is it inside me that makes me want to pay so much for the right to push myself to the point of almost having a nervous breakdown the 1st winter.......why does a sane (??) well educated person want to do that.........

Hubby and I got to talking about how long I have gone without human contact, ...about 10 days, it seemed longer,......how long without speaking to another person, only 3 days when the phone line went out.

6. TabletopHomestead

There are days I'd give my eyeteeth to go 10 days withing having to talk to anyone. LOL.

7. cookiecache

cookiecache Well-Known Member

When my wife and I first started on the homestead, we would take turns going to town to work. Sometimes we would be home alone (well, not counting dogs and chickens) for 2-3 months. When I work on the north slope, She would spend 6 weeks alone at a time in winter. The job only ran from 4 months, but it paid really well.

8. TabletopHomestead

Sounds wonderful.

9. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I think the hardest alone times for me have been when my son [age 12 now] comes to stay for awhile and I get used to him being here, then he leaves, then I feel very alone. Since he is not grown up yet, it messes with my maternal instincts to not be his 'mother' in action and deed everyday.