Real Homesteaders

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cookiecache, Jun 4, 2005.

1. cookiecache

cookiecache Well-Known Member

I enjoy reading about everyone's adventures in getting a homestead. I think the 1995 Land for Alaskan's lottory may have been the last chanch for Americans to stake and prove-up on a piece of land. While the state has areas now that people who qualify can stake and buy, there is no provision to get the land by living and working there.

Am I the only real homesteader on this website? (I have a homestead in Alaska about twenty miles south of Denali park, no roads, no power, but hey we did get cell phone service - forty acers where I built a cabin from scrach etc.) Everyone seems nice, and I have nothing against buying a small piece of land with a house, road, power, and running water, but it is NOT homesteading.

Do YOU have what it takes to be a real homesteader?

2. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I agree with your interpretation of homesteading. My grandparents and great grandparents were homesteaders, I am not.

I do live by the principles and practices they taught me, and that is as close to homesteading as I can get.

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Perhaps you MAY be the only "real" homesteader on this website. On the other hand this website is called 'Homesteading Today', and today homesteading may mean to most people to be able to buy a small piece (or large piece) of land with a road, power, and running water. It's still homesteading. It's only 'modern' homesteading and people extend their sharing of thoughtful and friendly advice in getting by whether using conveniences or not.

Let us know some more about your homesteading setup. I'm sure it will be interesting for many, including me.

Do I have what it takes to be a 'real' homesteader? I don't know. Probably not according to the 'old' definition. On the other hand, I did find my own well dug with needed running water that wasn't here originally, and did some further developing of land. Is that farmsteading, maybe? Oh, well.

4. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Nope; but I sure am happy on my 82.5 acres. Air conditioning, rural water, new siding, good vehicles, lots of critters and scratch my butt any time I want without worrying about neighbors.

5. cookiecache

I have a 40 acer homestead in the Alaska bush. I guess I think of homesteading as being the first man to build on a piece of land. While there may not be land available from the government as homesteads, there is a great deal of open land for sale. Homesteading, in my opinon, has always been about going to wild place and carving a nitch for you and your family.

Homestead = action
    Homestead does not = house and garden

But, most homesteads have a house and garden.

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

cookiecache- i am not certain even you are a "real" homesteader. I see that you use a computer (i am assuming you must hike to the nearest town and borrow one at the library but i am certainly not sure about this. I do not consider myself to be a homesteader as I did purchase my land and did not have it given to me for my labors. I do pay land taxes...which of course does require some sort of income. Perhaps you trap and sell furs to pay your land taxes? Again, who can tell from a computer message. I do live on 40 acres in the middle of no where montana. I do provide my own untilities and do haul water daily. I do grow/raise most of my own food, I do not make my own cloth or my own clothes. I do have a computer link via satelite (thank goodness for this!). What exactly do you mean by "homesteader'? Just because i was born in the 1950's instead of the 1850's does not mean I must do without necessary medical care simply because they did not have much in the way of medicine in those old days. I am, in fact, a modern homesteader- a protector of my land, my family and my freedoms. What more could homesteading mean? Kathleen

7. cookiecache

Are you using Star Band? I would really like to get a dish out at the cabin. Right now, I am working in town to earn enough money to get through next winter. I bought a laptop to edit video (I sell videos about homesteading in Alaska via mail order), and since DSL service is available here in Wasilla, I'm having a blast learning how to work this thing. I only get to stay on my homestead about 8 months of the year. Like many others, I am trying to find a way to use the internet to to earn a living from the cabin. I can get
    Star Band if I am make enough money to justify putting it in. It will cost about $2000+ up front and then around $130 per month. What do you think? Live cabin cam? Watch the chickens? I see a lot of bear and moose come though my yard, so I could try quick time movies. Boy, I wonder what my web site fees would be? Any guess?
    If I build it, will they come?

8. diane

diane Well-Known Member

"Right now, I am working in town to earn enough money to get through next winter" :haha: :haha: :haha:

And yet you think you are the only REAL homesteader on here. What a joke :boring: :no:

Please don't try and define homesteading for the people on this board. Most of us have the philosophy of Countryside Magazine that it is a way of thinking as well as a way of doing. Enjoy us, disagree with us, doesn't matter to me, but I don't see someone who is working in town anymore of a homesteader than anyone on this board!!!!!!

9. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Dianne, you go girl! I agree - let's just get along and be supportive. Think of all those people who are not blessed to be living in the country; livin' in cities, hoping and dreaming of being in our shoes even if we only live on a farm, have a few acres or work outside to complement our lifestyle out of necessity. Darn near impossible to work ONLY your property; property taxes, health insurance, vehicles and insurance (I'll bet cookiecache don't ride to town on a mule), etc. It's a state of mind; a need to be as self-sufficient as possible. Think of it in terms of a dying breed - I'm proud to be a part of!

10. cookiecache

I think most of the users of this board are farmers. That is not an insult because there's nothing wronge with being a farmer, right? But it is not homesteading. Most small farms were homesteaded long ago. To claim to be a homesteader there now is a disservice to hard working people that gave everything to open new land. They were homesteaders. There are still homesteaders today, but most don't have internet access. The right to stake land and live there is being lost. If we accept this new "homesteading" the right to be a real homesteader will be lost. Right now, Alaska has land programs that allow staking, but the land must be bought. We need to get our right to homestead back.
    And as to how I could be a homesteader when I am working in town for a couple of months - Wow, you don't know anything about living in Alaska.

11. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

This is a place to learn how to do things that are not usually taught. Things like making and doing things for yourself. Those who want to know ask, and those who know respond. We are all better educated and stronger as a result.

There are people here who have camped out in a tent while they cut trees and built their homes. Yes, they paid for their land, but does that change their lifestyle? And, that does NOT mean that they know how to start up a small business.

And, there are people who have ALREADY started a small business, but they WANT to be able to build their own cabin and they don't know how.

We all benefit from sites like this.

12. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Just curious....

How much fish do you dry?
    How many gallons of blue, salmon and raspberries do you pick?
    Have you shot and eaten bear, moose, and caribou?

Do you have dogs? or snowmachine?

Did you build your own cabin? How much help did you have? Did you pay a helicopter to deliver building materials? Can you drive to your house in a car?

I know a few folks from AK....its a different world.

13. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

might not know anything about living in alaska but with the same breath you are not a true homesteader way back when they did not leave there land to work elseware and myself have lived in the bush for 6 years fishing and traping once a year i made a long ride to NYC to sell my pelts cutting out the middle man to come hear and try to cut down someones pride on what they do shame on you and by the way i did not use a computer

jim

14. cookiecache

First of all, homesteads are not and have never been, to the best of my knowledge, free. In Alaska we must pay thousands of dollers on survey, and other fees. One can buy land and homestead on it (live in a tent and build the first cabin on the land etc,), but buying a small farm ready to live on and calling yourself a homesteader is streching things a bit.

I hope the other people here can help me move to my homestead full time with their ideas of ways to use the internet to connect the homestead to the rest of the world. Sure, I know that what every one wants, BUT if real homesteading is so unusual, I should be able to find a market.

If one takes the time to check, they will find that back though time MOST homesteaders go work somewhere to earn money from time to time.

15. NWSneaky

You folks are doing a fine job of educating Cookie so I'll just say; "I have peace because I totally tolerate a fundamental notion ------- Different strokes for different folks".

What pleases me doesn't mean it will give YOU a grin. If we'd all keep our pants up or zipped over-population wouldn't be eliminating land.

At any rate folks --- have a wonderful, glorious weekend.

Sorry, but I ain't gonna go outside today and do something he-man or strenuous; I'm just gonna enjoy.

BTW, Cookie, apparently YOU chose Alaska so deal with it!

16. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Apparently Homesteading = no sex... to some people :haha: :haha: :haha:

17. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

How could I not respond to this one???????

heehee, How often does this question make the rounds through the site now?

WELCOME Cookiecache!!! I didn't take the question as a insult to those that aren't building their home place from scratch.
    I do believe real homesteading is a way of life, a mind set, not your location or now many acres you have.

I also believe it is very different to be building a place from scratch, from buying it done. I don't understand why those that aren't building from scratch get so defensive when someone ask this question, specially a new person.

I very respectfully disagree that the pioneer homesteaders didn't have to leave home to make it, it was VERY common to the mother and children to be left alone for weeks or months at a time while the father had to go away to earn income. We are not historical reinactors, they had to buy tools/supplies etc just like we do now. They had to live there and make improvements, those improvements took MONEY or it's equivilant.

SO WHAT, if I pay money up front, I don't have to make improvements to keep my land, I don't have to live on it to keep it either, but the value is the same. They gave their time, sweat and blood, their lives and those of their children, often EVERY THING THEY HAD, to get closer to the dream of haveing thier own place, that they could feel was theirs.....in a different context so have we.

Everyone can get mad a me all over again, thats just fine it won't mean squat to me. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE,
    between those that, are compelled to make the non-montairy sacrifices to have their land, and those that buy it ready made. There are those that start as we have, with just bare land, and improved it to a comfortable farmstead, .....THAT IS WHAT I WANT,......please tell me how you managed it!!!

There is a difference between those of us that risk frost bite and the real possiblity of death in winter, and the hardships of summer heat, compaired to those that get to sit in a cool house with cold drinks and complain about "...oh it's so hot, .. our electric bill is going to be so high,..." I don't what anyone to go away from this site, so please don't start that again !!!!

Those of us that are doing it the hard way, NEED EACH OTHER!!!

Why start blasting Cookiecache? Why not say... "Yes there are others doing it hard core", mention a few names, tell the newbie welcome, hang around they will show up sooner or later, when there is enought sunlight for their computers to work, and they have nothing more importaint to do."

Please, please, please! We don't think we are better than you if we go without something, or that you are bad because you have an easier path, in fact we are probably dumber or being so stuborn and hard headed that we aren't happy unless we do it the hard way all buy ourselves ( so to speak, not litterally)

Cookiecache, do a site search on my handle (Thumper/inOkla.) and get to know me. If you don't feel comfortable to post on site after the 'generous welcome' email me direct, take the time to get to know the list, it is a wonderful list, and not everyone will get snide with you. It just rubs alot of people the wrong way, for someone to not tippy toe around the "real homesteader or not" issue.

18. NWSneaky

At this point in time I believe Mountain Man is about the realest folk on here. So THERE! Grin.

19. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I surely dont mean to "blast" cookie, i am just trying to determine his/her definition of homesteading. Apparently being the first human on the land has something to do with it. I am the first human to live on my land, I am the first to build my own house with my own hands on my own land. I am the first to raise my own food on my own land in my own greenhouse that i built with my own hands. Does that make me a homesteader....hard to say. And yup i do have direcway satelite computer hookup. But no television...so maybe I am just a backward city gal living on top of a mountain and going to college over the internet so I can get a better job next spring down in town to save more money to sink into my little slice of heaven LOL. Wow that was a mouthful LOL We really have no idea about the lives of those on this forum. But I bet we are all doing the best we can with what we got and trying to live as simple and peaceful a life as possible!

20. bare

bare Head Muderator

Cheechacko, I'm guessing that perhaps cookiecache might know the term, because if they showed up in 1995, that's exactly what they are.

I was born and raised on a 160 acre homestead in Eastern Montana lad. Today, I live on a 110 acre original entry homestead. Now granted, I ain't been alive that long, my ancestors were, but for you to call yourself a "the only real homesteader" on this board when you don't even have ten years under your belt is ludicrous!

Selling video's of your pathetic endeavors? Send me a copy for a real homesteaders critique on the matter!

Cheechacko!