Real Hard Day

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by big rockpile, Dec 19, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Got up bright and early,decided to take the Double Barrel out get some Squirrel.

Went down on a part of my property I haven't been for awhile.

Setting there seen 3 Does go by.Oh well seed for next year.Looked on up the hill,seen 4 Fox Squirrels playing.Slip up there.They made it in a hole.

Setting there,had bark hitting me on the Head.I look up there is a Squirrel,too close for a shot,he runs over next tree.made smoke one down.Reload waiting,another one comes up my way.Supper in hand.

Go back to the house clean them,put them in the Slow Cooker.Get my Gun cleaned up.Life is sure hard here in the hills.

big rockpile

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Well heres hoping you get your limit every day on them Tree Rats. Good luck hunting and bye the way Happy Holidays.

3. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

sounds like a good day rockpile.wished you wqas closer we could spend a day or 2 hunting together.you really do get the game.you have put a hankering in me for a double smoke pole....lol..i been looking at the ones in cabela's..$600...uh oh....its on the to get list.bet that thing is fun though.

4. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Rock, I live in the fringe of the ozarks and we are ahead of you hicks here. I use the new fangled stevens db 16ga, circa1940's, it's a breechloader what takes them there loads that are all packeged, with the shot powder and primer all in a thing called a CARTRIDGE, could buy em at the local store fer awhile one at a time, but have to buy a whole box now.Anyways u just push a lever and the gun breaks open drop in a couple of cartridges a handful in the coat pocket an yer off. Ain't life grand . What will they come up with next? I heard rumors of a shotgun that will reload itself everytime you shoot it fer 3-4-5 times! :hobbyhors :happy:

5. big rockpile

Yea I had one of them Guns when they first come out.It was single Shot.I loaded it with Slug.Shot my first Deer,it was laying there kicking,I reloaded,shut the thing down on my Bibs :help: ,couldn't raise it up to get a second shot until I unlocked it and locked it again.Well by that time the Deer had kicked around and was making for a fence,shot him a second time.

Got rid of that thing after that.

big rockpile

6. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

Stopped inna store today (general) fer sumpin and was looking over thier shell prices, noticed that sks buddits were 6$ per box,Dang! Anyways seen they had a box of 45-70's(little brother hunts with one) , marked on the box 1.00 $ each. havn't seen that in a while. :dance:

7. big rockpile

If I was going with a Centerfire I'd go with 30-06 and reload.

But I can get 100 Lead Balls for my 54Cal. already made up for $10,little Powder and patch I'm good to go.

big rockpile