Real Estate Q's

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Snugglebunny, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

DH and I have recently been informed we might be able to get a mortgage. My question is in regards to looking for our "Dream Home" - I would like to make sure we would be able to have all kinds of farm animals if we so desire, but how can I be sure? What do we look for? I am not understanding "zoning" or anything like that....

Any advice would be helpful. We're currently in VT, but are likely going to be moving back to NH.

2. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

I would ask the realtor what the zoning is, then go to the courthouse and ask the assessor, or someone involved with land, (not sure of the title) exactly what it means. What are the restrictions? What exactly is allowed? Ask directly if you can have livestock. They are usually pretty friendly as they would rather explain everything beforehand, instead of having to deal with it after someone complains!
    If the realtor doesn't know it, make him/her find out!

3. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Research this yourself. Just because the house down the road from your "dream house" has horses doesn't mean that you can. They might be what they call "grandfathered" in. I know a women who can have animals on the side of the road where her barn is..but not across the road where her house is !? Heaven forbid the wayward chicken crosses the road !! I'd go to the courthouse also and do the leg work myself. Good Luck !!

4. Little Bit Farm

Little Bit Farm Active Member

My advice is GO WEST YOUNG LADY! Most of the states in the northeast are going to be heavily regulated with regard to zoning. I LOVE oklahoma, because I can still build on my own land without asking permission.

Little Bit Farm

5. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Zoning isn't all that complex.

Different communities have differing standards on zoning. Some have no zoning whatsoever.

Zoning falls into categories such as residential, recreational/forestry, agricultural, all purpose, commercial and industrial.

Be certain the property you are interested in is zoned for the purposes you wish to pursue in life.

Remember that the areas which have no zoning mean just that. NO ZONING. While you are free to do as you wish with your own property, it also means your neighbor(s) are free to do as they wish on theirs. A lazy trash lowlife can move next to you, move in their grubby $500 trailer, 23 junk cars, 14 round-the-clock barking dogs, secret meth lab, etc.......and you helplessly watch as your property value plummets.

Zoning is and always has been a double edged sword.

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Let the realtor know you want a place with no restrictions, and no zoning against the type of place you want to have. If it looks like it is in a subdivision or city limits, ask specifically. Then, when you think you are sure and are ready to make an offer, put it in writing in your contract that it is subject to there being no restrictions or zoning against keeping farm animals and/or whatever else interests you. When the title work is done, the restrictions, if any, will be listed. Get copies of them. Be willing to walk away if they do not meet your expectations. If you have it in the contract, you shouldn't lose more than your time, at least.
    mary

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

It is combination of zoning, deed restrictions and new rulings. Zoning is fairly obvious. Past sellers may have placed on your deed certain restrictions (covenances?) such as what types of livestock may be allowed. You might be able to have horses, cattle and goats, but no poultry or swine. Some restrictions go as far as your not being able to cut down any trees on the property without prior permission. You might be in a city limits and the cities passes an ordinance (such as no livestock) which might leave you grandfathered in, but restricts everyone else. Even here, you might not be able to bring in new livestock species, just what you had at the time it was enacted.

As noted, just because you see a neighbor doing it, doesn't mean you can.

Ken Scharabok

8. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

For what it's worth -------- Missouri is the most generous State in favor of homesteading and user rights. New England, in general, really sucks. Too many Harvard and Yale types there I suppose. BUT, Northern NY has some destitue dairy farmers selling out gorgeous family traditions at bargain prices.

9. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Also make sure there are no covenants against livestock, if you are joining a "rural community", or a covenant controlled rural subdivision. There are alot of those with 40 acres or less out this way, and most of the acreage we came up with originally were that way, and very hard to get one that wasn't that we liked. But we did find it. ;)