Real Bad Hot Spot

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by steff bugielski, Sep 25, 2005.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

My friends dog is losing all her fur . She is chewing and licking constantly. She had fleas and was treated with hartz drops. They did not work real well but it is too soon to use the frontline. Her back is almost bear and it itches. she rolls in the dirt to the point of it bleeding and raw. I have given her Resue Remedy and it helps her anxiety. Can this all be from the fleas or could it be nerves. Her owner , when he moved into one of our aptartments he used to let her out all day. Her and my puppy played all day. As the days got hotter the two of them would crawl under the porch where it was cool. He did not like her coming home dirty so he has kept her in for a few weeks. He also thought the fleas were coming from the dirt. Yesterday he let her out and I was shocked to see her in that condition. He is ready to give her away because he does not want to pay for her care. I guess I have a new dog. Any advise. A trip to the vet for someone elses dog is not in my budget.
    Steff

2. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

You might want to get a flea dip product for her and get all of the fleas off her. At least she'll have some relief after. If she is still after her sore spots you could try (unscented!) Aveeno, I just mix one packet in about a quart of water, mix really well and pour over dog, it is colloidial oatmeal and very soothing to irritated skin. The drop on stuff is great for prevention but I don't think it helps much with an established infestation. Consider sprinkling some Sevin dust under that porch and in your yard for flea control, works great and isn't toxic.
    If you don't think the hair loss is flea-related you should probably take her to a vet and make sure she hasn't gotten some other skin condition.
    Good Luck!
    This thread has interesting info also:
    http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=99261

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

She's probably allergic to flea bites. Titan's suggestion of Aveeno is a good one. You could try some Benadryl with her (about 1 mg per pound rounded to the nearest 25mg unless she's really small). If it doesn't help with the allergy at least it might make her sleepy enough to leave herself alone!

4. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

I would definately make a trip to the vets and find out for sure what is the cause. I'd definately want to make sure it isn't mange.

5. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

i agree with the Benadrly........and slap some Bagbalm on the spot, repeatedly....

6. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

GoldenMom, what is your take on prednisone to help set this straight while changes are made to fix the underlying problem? Our vet doesn't have any problem with pred but I've always felt uncomfortable using it from what I know of how it can cause problems in people. I do use it on one of our labs who really gets digging at himself until the problem is cleared up and he's got the benadryl keeping things under control. Then I back him off it slowly watching for any signs that he's itching again.

I'm seeing a ton of posts/questions about hot spots. I know two of mine struggle with allergies badly this time of year. Mine are on advantage so it shouldn't be fleas. I'm thinking that there might be an outdoor allergen such as ragweed which seems to affect a lot of dogs this time of year. I have heard but don't know for sure that some of the products such as frontline and advantage won't work that well on unhealthy skin so it may be difficult to use to solve the problem, might work better once other means have gotten the problem under control or to prevent in the first place.

7. longshadowfarms

Missed that on the first read through... That's certainly a possibility if it is that bad!

8. GoldenMom

Usually I don't get to see a dog until he's reached a point where he's hurting himself by scratching. I do prescribe a lot of short term prednisone and don't have a problem doing so (my own allergic older dog gets prednisone occassionally when he's really miserable). If I am able to see a dog before he's terribly miserable I try different antihistamines (they all don't work the same in every dog unfortunately so it's a trial and error type of deal). I also try to get any allergic dog on a good food (possibly one of the hypoallergenic diets-even if it's not food allergies b/c several of those diets contain ingredients that are good for inflammation in general). I also want them to get the dog on Omega-3 fatty acids (they decrease inflammation). Hopefully by adding the good food and fatty acids we are somewhat addressing the actual problem and the antihistamines and maybe prednisone can then just be used on a short term basis when allergens are really high.

BTW I don't know how bad it's been where you live, but this year has been TERRIBLE here in Iowa for allergies. I think I've at least talked about allergies/itching in at least half of my appointments the last month or so. Most of the dogs with allergies that I see are allergic to pollens and weeds just like people (at least the few who have owners who consent to/want $$$allergy testing$$$).

9. longshadowfarms

Thanks, GM. Ours are on a lamb and rice feed which has omega 3 added and I also give them fish oil. I'm down to 10 mg of pred once daily for a 100 lb dog which really isn't a high dose but I do worry about the side effects and try to keep the time on it as short as possible. They're usually fine as soon as the snow flies so perverse as it sounds, I'll be happy when the snow does come. My Pyr is acting itchy again too so I'm thinking I'll try the Benadryl on him too. He had a LaCroix aural resection done about a month ago since he's had ear infections as long as we've had him (a little more than a yr). Wouldn't you know he's got another ear infection again now! :flame: This was supposed to clear up the ear infections! Poor dog! I'm kind of wondering if the allergies aren't playing a role in his problems too. They did a culture and sensitivity test on him so hopefully we'll get some news this coming week. He's had the culture at least 3 times before though and nothing exciting. Only difference now is that when I put drops in his ears, they drip right out. He's on an oral antibiotic as well so we're waiting for that to take effect. Poor fella!

10. GoldenMom

I know this goes against common sense, but the BEST way to give prednisone is to give a larger dose every OTHER day than to give a small dose daily. The every other schedule allows the adrenal glands to continue to function. Constant pred dosing causes them to shut down. And make sure you step down gradually when you're taking them off the pred (go to every 3 day, then go to half the dose, etc, etc).

Poor Pyr! I hope you can get those darn ear infections under control for him. I'm sure he's miserable.

11. longshadowfarms

Thanks again! I think my vet had told me that before about the pred but I'd forgotten. I've written it on the bottle to remind myself next year as well.

I'm hoping we can get to the bottom of the problems with the Pyr. We've at least gotten to the point where only my main vet sees him. All the office staff knows that as well which helps a lot. For a while I would see whoever was working that day but neither of the other vets was really looking for a root cause so that we could get a complete solution. This fella is a bit of a medical mystery. He's generally pretty healthy other than the constant ear infections. That said, he's got some wierd health anomalies that we haven't figured out. His blood test shows that his thyroid is on the low end of normal but without pretty high doses of soloxine he's naked. His heart rate with or without the soloxine is very slow and has a significant sinus arrhythmia. He's tipsy walking down the road in a straight line and often too shaky to lift his leg but is as nimble as a mountain goat up a rocky glen and can go into "gonna kill it" mode at the drop of a hat with no apparent weakness at all. Everything other than the constant ear infections is just a minor head scratcher that we could easily live with. Just kind of makes me wonder what is a root cause and what is just a symptom. :shrug: