ready set go

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shadow, Jun 2, 2004.

1. shadow

shadow Guest

I am ready to go .ready to make the move purchased some nice land and I am ready to start but I am stuck and a little scared. we have the water the generator we are getting ready to purchase a yurt what happens next guess i need to hear from others that are doing it .The kids are exited. anybody out there can offer some encouragement (how you did it)I really need it right about now thanx

2. VonWolfen

VonWolfen Well-Known Member

You will find the people here are EXCEEDINGLY helpful and wise. They do need some help from you. Your profile doesn't list any info....so if you will provide some additional info (many are very private..so whatever you can) about your age group,expertise...part of country...goals...specific immediate help..etc.....you'll find a bunch of folks will normally jump in...Welcome and good luck!!!

3. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

A yurt,huh? Wicked biscuits! Oughta change screen name to Ghengis! :D

Don't go and wait for the 'perfect' time, it does not exist...unless it comes down to summer or winter...you get the picture.

No more a rookie, yet not quite a vet, I've been doin 'it' for about six years now... Just me and a cat, couplethree cows, and a herd of chickens :yeeha:

Yep, its not easy, but I wouldn't trade for nothing....well, I sure wouldn't mind another two-legger of the female persuasion...I'm still somewhat young though...

Jump you chicken! You'll never regret it! :yeeha:

Also please provide more info lest we all start thinkin' you're a troll or something :haha:

Regards from Western East Texas

mc

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I see you are a first time poster so welcome onboard, now go read the archives for a great many answers about just about everything, they will help you avoid mistakes with new plans. Any other questions you wish to post are welcome here, in which ever forum applies, and yes, we do know it all!! :p

5. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

What are you planning on doing, having chickens? Bigger animals? Garden? Crops? We just moved out here 1 month ago (and I have all the animals so far, and plans for more) However, we bought a once working farm, pig farm, so we didnt have to build any buildings, or do too much work outside yet. I have found it nice, working in the city (13k people) and spending excess time/money on farm stuff. I would like to live self sufficently, or at least be a full time farmer later on. I think I would feel bad if I retired and realized I wasted my whole life working for somebody else. Jump in, and enjoy it. Good Luck

6. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Read all the information you can find. Subscribe to Countryside and MEN. Join local goat clubs and get first hand experience. If you see neighbors, stop by and visit. You can learn a lot about the area where you live by getting in touch with others doing the same thing. We have found the chickens easy to take care of. We are able to sell eggs for a profit. If you like to garden, get a rototiller and make a large area for growing your own food. We don't know about rabbits but goats definitely take a lot of preparation with fencing, housing, feed, etc.

7. K. Sanderson

K. Sanderson Active Member

Shadow, will you still have an income when you move to your land? I think that's the next thing to consider. When that is taken care of, you'll want to figure out your waste disposal -- are you going to have a composting toilet, a regular flush toilet with a septic tank, a sawdust bucket toilet with a compost pile? Graywater disposal? Showers? Laundry? Okay, when you have those all figured out, then you are ready to get the yurt set up and move in! Then, a little bit at a time, you can figure out how you want to use your land, build outbuildings, start gardens and orchards, fence for animals, and so on. Just make a list in chronological order of what needs to be done, and methodically do one thing at a time and get it done before you go on to the next thing (for the most part; there might be an occasional exception). DO NOT jump into owning every kind of animal under the sun. Do ONE THING AT A TIME!! (I'm shouting on purpose here! Getting too many animals too soon is one of the biggest mistakes many people make, and I'm sure half the folks here could tell you about the dangers of moving on to another project before you finish the one you are working on. You can move mountains, if you just do it a little bit at a time, and don't try to take on too much at a time.

Kathleen