Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure that when it actually arrives I will not be as ready as I think, however I feel so much better than I did last year that I just had to crow about it. :) Last winter we had just moved here and we were not at all prepared. I refused to give $6.00 plus for propane so we were a little cold, pipes froze, water froze and on and on. We made it but I don't intend on ever having a repeat. Are you prepared? What are some of the things you do.

BTW: I have always been a farm girl. I knew better last year but didn't have any idea how un-winterized (not sure that is a word) this place was.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
We all live and learn. Glad to hear you'll be warmer this winter.

In some ways were are more prepared, propane that is...

I have not stocked up on wood like I should have. Many reasons, but stupidity/laziness are in the forefront. I will be pushing in the next 6 weeks to get better situated. I also want to get some storm windows made for the windows on the house that face north.

I will also stock up on animal food and more beans and non-perishables for winter in case we get snowed in multiple times. Yep the older you get the more you have to think ahead...

·
Also known as Jean
1,509 Posts
Getting our first two loads of firewood this weekend. We buy from a fellow I work who with sells seasoned wood, cut and split all the same size. Wonderful.

I'm considering a stock up trip to Aldi for canned goods. We also need to stock up on batteries and lamp oil. Haven't checked the propane tank --- can't get it filled until I get a check in mid-October so I've been avoiding that little chore. I wish I could fill it earlier because I'm sure propane would be cheaper. Also would LOVE to have an extra tank to fill when the price is very low. But that won't happen this year.

Need to put some of that spray foam in all the cracks before it gets too cold to run around outside and do that. And get the doors weatherized.

Ready for winter? Never. I always dread that season.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Apparently our neighbor changed their tv cable company, had a reset on their signal and at that exact same moment that reset interfered with our programmed backup generator system. Not that it's a big deal to reset our backup system, but that it's that easy for an outside signal to change it. And here we're wondering if this is the ironclad backup to loss of electricity we had hoped it would be. One lesson we learned from this is that we're very glad we kept a woodstove as a backup to the backup. I guess we need to get some more wood to start drying.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Gawww-lee!

Kinda makes me glad I live down here in the south.
About 2 truck loads will keep our "pleasure burning" steady.

The poor SOs brother is on propane ...and he never fills his up.
Ever.
He is by himself and sleeps in his living room so he just uses space heaters (and still freezes)

·
Brenda Groth
7,816 Posts
just over half of our wood is put up but we have more coming..with the weightloss I had to try on all the too small clothes..and I have enough warm clothes to last at least part of the winter with no need for purchases..but at the rate I'm losing (3 pounds a week) and at this pace I'll probably have to buy some clothes around Chritmas time..in a smaller size than my smallest saved clothes..think my sweaters and coats will fit but may be loose by then..too large is better than too small to get into

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Wood pile should be sufficient for even a colder than normal Winter. Both propane tanks are full. The final hay cutting is on the ground and fluffed/tedded, and I plan to start raking it tomorrow. So the livestock should have something to munch on. Had to order some water seal for the front porch, and I hope to get it re-sealed next week after the hay is in the barn. I'd like to go through the pantry and reorganize/refresh some items...but I said that last year and didn't die from the lack of doing it. Hopefully I can get some seed drilling done in the hay field and pasture. Looking forward to cooler weather actually.

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
we have a pellet stove and ordered 3 tons- almost ran out last winter- hoping not to this winter-
but we start picking them up in the next couple of weeks-

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE winter- so I will not ever complain about being cold- I know I am in the minority!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
just over half of our wood is put up but we have more coming..with the weightloss I had to try on all the too small clothes..and I have enough warm clothes to last at least part of the winter with no need for purchases..but at the rate I'm losing (3 pounds a week) and at this pace I'll probably have to buy some clothes around Chritmas time..in a smaller size than my smallest saved clothes..think my sweaters and coats will fit but may be loose by then..too large is better than too small to get into
Congrats on the weight loss!!

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
We are pretty well set although I want to finish painting the trim on the shed before winter hits. It's just primed right now and this is a goal.

I already have new tires on the van, plenty of firewood hopefully fully aged now (we had gotten a load of fresh oak early in 2013) and I'm getting my freezer stocked with good foods and the pantry with staples. I posted on Facebook about needing a coat for my very quickly growing 13 year old son and a friend bought him a BRAND new LL Bean down coat!! Wow!!

The only thing left is to winterize the boat. But that can't be done until November when it goes to the marina where it will winter. So until then - we're happily sailing along! :D

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
We have replaced a few more windows, only two left in this old house (house was built in 1880) We also had central air and heat put in for the first time. Looking forward to being warmer and having more efficient heat than that big propane heater that was here when we bought the house. We've used it for 16 years. The propane guy estimated it was probably 60% efficient, if that. :eek:

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I'm getting there! Right now we have no heat. Our oil tank was leaking. We are going to pour a pad of cement for the new tank to sit on. Hope to get it done within the next week.

I have been canning up a storm so we will be set for food stuff. I always stay stocked up in that area.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Pictures please and also let us know how you are doing it.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I think I have enough firewood for the winter, but, that's still not enough.
Got a lot of food canned, but not as much as I wanted.
Have one pig in the freezer, another going to butcher in 3 weeks
Deer season still 6 weeks away, hoping for at least 2 deer
Have a batch of cornishX birds that will make the journey to Kamp Kenmore first weekend of November.
Lots of dry goods stock piled; flour, sugar, etc.
Still need to get a few bales of hay and straw, and would like to start the winter with at least a couple months supply of chicken feed and rabbit feed.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
We're in good shape. Plenty of wood, propane is pre-paid and the freezers and pantry are well stocked. I'm also going to store some xtra chicken grain, dog & parrot food.
I'm with you Becka03. I love winter too :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts