Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased 12 lbs. of decaf coffee from an E-Bay seller for a fabulous price. But the roast is a bit light for my tastes. Can I re-roast it to get it darker or would be it better to mix the beans with a darker one to get the intensity I want? She also sells expresso decaf, but I'm not sure if that would be too dark? I usually use French roast when purchasing in the store, but I just couldn't pass up that bargain -- about a third of what I usually pay.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I purchased 12 lbs. of decaf coffee from an E-Bay seller for a fabulous price. But the roast is a bit light for my tastes. Can I re-roast it to get it darker or would be it better to mix the beans with a darker one to get the intensity I want? She also sells expresso decaf, but I'm not sure if that would be too dark? I usually use French roast when purchasing in the store, but I just couldn't pass up that bargain -- about a third of what I usually pay.
Not successfully.
Once coffee beans have cooked and cooled, they can't be cooked more. Roasting temperature profiles and sequences make a big difference in how the coffee ultimately tastes. Sorry.
You going to have to use more coffee pre brewing cycle. And make SURE you have it hot enough to extract all the oils out. Preferably around 200º is the best temp. BUNN recommends 195º to 205º But most home brewers do not heat the water that high most are around 180 and 20º makes a Huge Difference in the taste.
Also if you can set the grinder to grind a little finer so the water has a nice chance to extract as much oil as it can out of the beans.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I buy bags of green coffee beans and roast them in a hot air popper. If they're aren't dark enough, I re-roast them, so I don't see why you couldn't try it in your oven so they get a little darker.... I have also mixed a little darker roast stuff in there too and ground them together to get a blend that suits me. Try it!

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,365 Posts
I don't know Decaf, but the darker the roast the more caffeine that percolates out. So dark richer looking beans have less caffeine in them. The caffeine that gets cooked off is used in soda pop and other stuff that has caffeine. Learned that on a Coffee Plantation in Hawaii.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I don't know Decaf, but the darker the roast the more caffeine that percolates out. So dark richer looking beans have less caffeine in them. The caffeine that gets cooked off is used in soda pop and other stuff that has caffeine. Learned that on a Coffee Plantation in Hawaii.
One other thing about coffee beans. "Robusta" beans have more caffeine in them than "Arabica" beans which grow at a higher altitude. And even IF it does say Decaf they can't get ALL the caffeine out, so it isn't 100% decaffeinated.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your comments. I think I'll order the espresso and mix it. This is really too good of a deal to pass up -- less than $3.40 a pound -- and it is premium coffee.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts