Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the message NIS cannot be installed because yu have another variant of NIS; remove and existing version, restart computer, run this installer again. I got this message when I was trying to install the NIS 2007 upgrade (or something very close to this)

I uninstalled NIS - believe it was 2002. I think this was my "mistake".

I own a Dell and have a disk that is marked Dell Tools CD for reinstalling Dell software includes antivirus software.

I am kinda lost, what is it I need to do now?

Thanks much.

·
Super Moderator
7,590 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it I'd probably email Norton and see if they can furnish you with a copy of the software.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Make sure NAV2002 and NAV2007 upgrade components are removed. Then,go on the web and find a free registry cleaner and use it.

Go to Symantec and see if a 2007 upgrade will upgrade NAV2002.

If so, reinstall your NAV2002 from your disc and then install the upgrade.

Your right. An upgrade needs previous version on computer. Full version is the one that installs by itself.

RF

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
youd be wise to uninstall NAV and all its little crumbs and go install Avast! antivirus.

NAV is a resource hog and isnt a very good virus catcher.

avast! is free.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the NIS 2002 version back.

I contacted Symantec and they did not help much, said the software had not been activated.

I have paid via credit card for the Norton so I would like to get it up and running.

What a headache this has been. And it should have been so simple. Grrrr....

I let Symantec know they did not help me so I am awaiting their response.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to thank those who posted. I did get a response back via e-mail from Symantic and with those instructions I was able to get my new version of NIS to run. I appreciate the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts