RE: Feeding a bottle baby!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by luvrulz, May 25, 2005.

1. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

My Jacob baby ram is getting big and eating like a pig! He's thriving and bm's are still a little loose, but he's getting alot of milk replacer! He was born on 05/15 so he's not yet 2 wks old. Can I start feeding him a little 11% protein feed mix?

He just acts like he's not getting enough to eat and is continually looking for more. My border collie is getting head butted as he looks for the nipple to nurse. I am in long pants and sweats cause he keeps searching me out, morning noon and night! :confused:

Even just after a bottle (16 oz with 3 T. powder) - he looks for more to eat! Geesh! Any thought would be great! He's getting 4 16 oz. bottles a day and he's put on 2 pounds in 4 or 5 days. At this rate, he's going to eat me out of house and home! :p Thanks!

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

3. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

Maybe he needs a pascifier. :haha: SORRY.....we had one like that and I swear that is all she wanted, something to suck on! We all wear skirts here at our house (I have 6 dds) and the little thing was FOREVER trying to suck on someones legs! Almost drove us MAD!

So, she may not truly be hungry, just wanting to suck :rolleyes:

4. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the answers! Snomama, that's a funny story and I think you hit the nail on the head! Can I give him a bottle of water??

The info on the other site was terrific! Thanks Bergere! He's up to 11 pounds and I am going to break him in on some real food!

5. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

Don't laugh, but we gave her a lamb nipple with cotton stuffed in it, kind of like they used to give babies in the hospital years ago before pascifiers became common. She loved it, but after a week outgrew her need for sucking :haha:

We have fun here at our house, what can I say? With six little girls and baby animals all the time, all of them are hopelessly spoiled!!!!!! :rolleyes: