Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning to all- Well, I just went out and checked the garden. Pole beans are about six feet tall and looking good. Bell peppers are hanging in there- the rain and slightly cooler temps seem to agree with the peppers.
the rutabaga seed I planted last week is up and looking nice- hope the carrots sprout and come soon, too.
Even my forlorn hope late season tomato plant looks pretty nice and is finally starting to grow a little bit.
Now, if I can just find a flat of broccolli plants to set out, we'll be just about set for fall and winter- oh yes- got to find some onion plants or sets, too.
Lord, I got a lot of gardening work to do- good digging to all- Ed Mashburn

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
We are so overrun with grasshoppers that if I set anything out now I'd expect them to eat it. But I did bring home a nine-pack of what I thought was broccoli, and started up-potting them to sit in my windows for awhile. Then I noticed it was really cabbage. That's okay, I like cabbage, too. But I still need to get some broccoli.

If we get a good rain this week I will be able to till and start planting teeny tiny seeds next week. Maybe.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good afternoon- yes, I try to start my own seeds, but this year's fall stuff looks like it will have to be bought. I had some fair to middlin' brocs started a couple of weeks ago, and I set the flats out to get some sun. Well, they got some rain.
We got a little afternoon shower- down here on the Gulf Coast, that means we got three inches of rain in less than an hour- and all of the baby brocs were washed out and away.
So, I'm growing store-bought baby brocs this fall.
Nobody ever said gardening would be easy- good digging to all- Ed Mashburn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts