Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to keep a small herd and not inbreed much, if any. This year we are putting all but 2 grown does in the freezer along with the 14 yr old herd buck. I will need a new buck!

My herd is made up of pure bred large Nubian goats and I want to keep it that way. This was the last year I had any offspring from my all-time favorite buck, Roman; so that specific blood line to Frosty Marvin is gone! :( It is ok however because I only breed for our family's need of milk, cheese and meat. I never sell my goats!

If anyone in here who lives anywhere near Danville, VA has a Nubian buck (large breed & pure blood) for sale I'd be interested in taking a look at him. (My two Nubian does are heavy milkers; so would like to keep this trait going if possible with their offspring from the new buck.) I would prefer a young buckling that has been bottle fed because I always make pets of my breeders; also he needs to be disbudded as I'm no longer able to do that adequately.

PM me if you want.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I’ve heard that some people raise Nubians for meat, but I can’t imagine it. I also can’t imagine butchering a 14 y.o., or a buck. Won’t that be tough, gamey meat? We always castrate our Boer/Nubian crosses at 2 months then butcher at about a year. I have a couple of lovely registered Nubian buckling this year. They should be quite large. Unfortunately, I live in TX.

·
Premium Member
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responding; and for the hugs. This type of task thru the years has never been easy!

Don't want to AI my does because I simply enjoy having a buck around. Mine have always been so loving and often have "slowly" walked beside me when I was tired and trying to get back to the house.

The large Nubians have good weight on them come butchering time; so there is lots of healthy red meat...and great pieces for the guard dogs too. (My dogs always get the shanks, ribs and all the marrow bones.) No animal is tough if you time your butchering correctly, i.e. when the animal is gaining weight. Yeah Texas is a bit far for a drive to pick a buckling up. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts