re-cycled folgers coffee canisters

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ratherbefishin, Nov 2, 2004.

1. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

no big deal, but I was looking for something to store my dried apples in - and voila' I had just finished up one of those new Folgers snap seal lid plastic coffee canisters.Perfect!

2. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

The new plastic ones with the built in handle are great to use as scoops for grain, dog food, etc.

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'm glad this topic came up. I have a good number of large coffee tins that could be put to some use. Do you line the cans with something before storing dried apples?

One tip I've tried in the past is to use the tops that you cut out with a can opener and place in the garden underneath forming melons. The reflected surface heats to ripen the melons better and keeps them off the wet ground.

Rich

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

weve re used coffee cans for years, and ive never liked the metalrim, always worried about cutting, i admit i like the plastic ones better, good handy scoops, i still will keep my metal can though for storing used oil/fat till its soap making time

5. Susan Mary

Susan Mary Well-Known Member

I have been saving them to start plants for spring in. Actually what you can do is cut in it have use the snap top to close up one side of the half with two open ends. Doing this you will end up with two cans instead of one deep one. Susan

6. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

I use the 1 quart plastic jugs with the molded in handles for scoops-just screw the lid on and cut off the bottom on the angle .They are sturdy enough and work well.I think I will use the plastic Folgers coffee containers for bulk stuff in the kitchen.I like the built in handle and the sealing snap lid

7. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

I have never thrown a coffee can away till it was completely worn out. :)

I store all my flower seeds in them and stack them in the pantry. I also took a bunch and painted them and used them as planters on my porch. I haven't gotten the new plastic coffee cans yet, probably allot more money than the metal ones.

We get the Helmans mayonaise in the big plastic thing with the cool handle & lid, and those are great for stuff in the pantry & kitchen. I still think what I use the most is the ice cream buckets. When I have my shots-meds, etc to go outside, I put them all in an ice cream bucket & lid with a frozen apple, stays cold.