Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some store bought canned goods (Just started canning/prepping). Some dates on cans are not far off. Can I open and can again in mason jars to make these last longer? Is there a canning guide that tells how long certain foods will last?

· Super Moderator
11,583 Posts
eat it and buy new

by the time you buy a new lid you can almost buy new canned goods

good lids right now are 5 dollars a dozen

the date on the canned good is a best if used by date , it will be safe to eat till the can rusts or bloats , it will just diminish it taste and quality

those dates can usually if storage has been cool and dry extended by 3-4 years easily

you are going to loose taste and quality re-canning , unless you say have flats of tomatoes 2 years past the date and want to make chili then re-can , heat breaks down food , plain and simple the only way to re-can is to use a bunch more heat

your not likely to do better than the seal on those original factory cans

your looking at >50 cents a can to re-can just in supplies if you have clean jars , if you don't have jars a lot more it is Much cheaper to use it and buy new factory canned food.

· Premium Member
23,117 Posts
Re-canning isn't going to extend the shelf life, and the heat of processing may well diminish the available nutrients in the food.

I'm with @GREENCOUNTYPETE: use the older dates in rotation, replace with fresh stock.

· Registered
8,019 Posts
Re-canning won't set back the clock, as a matter of fact it will speed up the process. Feed it to the hogs or chickens, and buy or put up some fresh stuff

· Premium Member
34,824 Posts
I'm pretty sure we had this discussion a few days ago with another new poster.

Not exactly the same circumstances but the same question.

· Registered
11 Posts
I did a quick search, and yes I'm logged into my affiliate account- that link goes back to that. So if you buy it, I make a commission, and I get to put some more pennies in the jar to feed my horses. LOL
But I did find it under the search terms - USDA complete guide to canning for 2022 - Actually a whole page of stuff pertaining to that. I like physical books, myself. What if computers die? I'm sure they'll tell you to throw it out. They're always uber cautious like that. Me? I grew up with Grama water bath canning deer meat and I drank raw cows milk as a sickly preemie newborn. I'm obviously passed from this planet into the great beyond. LOL

· Super Moderator
11,583 Posts
I'm pretty sure we had this discussion a few days ago with another new poster.

Not exactly the same circumstances but the same question.

Yes we did , different reason for the same thing I guess

let me say it again

Eat what you store , Store what you eat

rotate and use

if a can on the shelf gives you a warm fuzzy feeling , it won't when the contense is warm and fuzzy and inedible or worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts