Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My daughter's work has veggie broth on sale, expires soon. Since I can with broth, and the food is shelf stable for years, I was wondering if that would apply to the broth as well. Looking for thoughts, thank you!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's in those cardboard boxes, which I don't know very much about when it comes to long term storage. Years ago boxes were treated and heated, do things lasted pretty long past the sell by date. They're only 50¢, so I'd love to stock up. I couldn't make my own for that price!

· Registered
18 Posts
I would think you could pressure can it, but take in the cost of lids and time and it may not be a money saver, but heck I would try it for at least a batch, I would do it for at least the same amount of time as I do meat and veggies. But that is just me.

· Registered
1 Posts
Personally, I would dehydrate and powder it and use like boullion. It is very space.saving and can be rehydrated for any use. I also use everything I powder in eggs, casseroles- veggie powder, greens powder, pepper powder, mushroom power (extra yum), garlic scape powder. Also tomato powder rehydrated into tomato paste.

· Premium Member
23,117 Posts
Sure, at that price, I'd go ahead and pressure can it into jars. I just don't trust those boxes all that much, but at 50 cents? Yup. :)

Reactions: Cravnspeed

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally, I would dehydrate and powder it and use like boullion. It is very space.saving and can be rehydrated for any use. I also use everything I powder in eggs, casseroles- veggie powder, greens powder, pepper powder, mushroom power (extra yum), garlic scape powder. Also tomato powder rehydrated into tomato paste.
I did think of doing that with some. I powder a lot of things too, it's so handy. And I can't sneak healthy things in without anyone knowing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts