Re: Butchering Age

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by bantams, Dec 24, 2006.

1. bantams

bantams Well-Known Member

Hello,

I posted this summer about T-Bone, our Milking Shorthorn steer, wondering when to have him butchered.
    Here's the follow up to that (http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=129949):

We had him slaughtered November 5 by a mobile butcher. He was about 2 years and 3 months old, completely grass and hay fed with not a single bite of grain in his life. A week earlier, I had weight taped him at 1672 lbs (86.5 inch girth), and 57 inches tall at the shoulder. The butcher thought he was 1500-1600 lbs.
    He hung for a little over 2 weeks (dry aged), and we picked up the beef today. With an 816 lb hanging weight, we got back 430-500 lbs of beef (cut and wrapped).

I made burgers out of some of the ground beef today - it is by far the best beef we have ever had!! When we have our rib roast tomorrow for Christmas Eve, I will definitely report back (with photos). Despite the fact that the beef is grass fed, it is very well marbled ("Prime" quality if it had been graded), more than any beef I've ever seen.

Here are some photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kelsey

2. bantams

3. bantams

Here is a chart of the cuts, if you are interested.
    We could only estimate on the size/weight of each package, although the ground beef weight is correct. The total weight for this comes to 433 lbs, but I think we underestimated some cuts' weights.

Cut, Size (lbs), #of Packages, Total Weight

Ground Beef 1.5, 164, 246
    Soup Bones 1.5, 10, 15
    Stew Meat 1, 8, 8
    Rib Steak 5, 5, 25
    Sirloin Tip Roast 5, 4, 20
    Short Ribs 3, 8, 24
    Top Round 5, 5, 25
    New York 2.5, 4, 10
    Cross-Rib Roast 3.5, 4, 14
    Tenderloin Roast 4.5, 2, 9
    Flank Steak 1.5, 2, 3
    Sirloin Steak 1.5, 12, 18
    Rump Roast 4, 2, 8
    Brisket 4, 2, 8

Kelsey

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Can you give an estimate on your average price per pound put into your freezer from acquisition to freezer, also factoring in any shelter, fencing and pasture improvement (e.g., fertilization) costs.

5. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

that looks great! Thanks for the info.

WE are butchering our first steer next fall.

6. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

I'll bet it has a ton of good beef flavor!

We don't kill cattle until they are at least 18 mos. old. I really think beef needs to live for 1 1/2 to 2 years to develop good beef flavor. Store bought beef has no flavor to me and part of the problem is killing at such a young age.

Congrats on all that great beef!!!

7. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

Kelsey-
    I forgot, did you get to keep the hide?
    I'm gonna send you an e-mail--
    Susie

8. bantams

Well, we had our first taste of un-ground T-Bone beef on Christmas Eve. It is the most tender, flavorful beef any of us have ever had. I can't do it justice describing it, but it was sublime!

Here are before and after photos. It was a cross-rib roast (boneless) that I seared and then finished at 400 degrees.

Susie, we did keep the hide. It is about 100 pounds, and is waiting in the freezer until we find someone to tan it. We'll have a professional do it because we don't want to mess it up.

Sorry about the flash in the photos. I think the lighting washed out the color, because the raw beef was much redder/darker. Look at that marbling!

Kelsey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm...not much difference from the before and after...we also had our own topside roast christmas day...but ours we had med/well done....the yummiest meat. Ours are Dexters so we can butcher ours a little earlier...average 12-15mths old.