Re Breeding Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by annie716, Nov 12, 2006.

1. annie716

annie716 Well-Known Member

Just wondering what your experiences and/or opinions are. My boer doe that had and lost the premature kids last week, how long before I should put her back with the buck? I put her in a pen alone when I found the first kid and she's truly enjoying it :), she was a little poor looking from the beginning & is starting to pick up a little not having to fight for food. I want to have a fecal done to make sure but just wonder how soon she should be re-bred. Also her milk didn't come in until 3 days after the kidding, I milked about 8 oz the first day & froze, since this is the first milk is it still the colostrum (?), I milked a little more the next day but she really didn't have enough to even firm her bag and is drying off already.

2. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

personally I would wait a full year from the last time she was bred. Give her time to beef up and heal. She needs to be healthy to carry the kids to term.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

If the kids were very premature, the colostrum is of little value to keep. But it was a good idea to milk her some, it stimulates her to clean herself out and it shrinks her uterus back down to prekidding state. I am of the she is livestock set, and she is there to kid. She could easily come back into heat in 8 weeks, if she needs groceries, than with moderation use this next 8 weeks to get her in better shape, what you don't want to do is increase anything too fast. Think high quality roughage like alfalfa and don't automatically think grain. Continue the good nutrition throughout pregnancy. Holding her over until next season would just make for a fat goat. She should be pregnant or nursing kids. Vicki

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I would breed her in the next two months sometime. Use the time between now and then to get her back into shape if she is thin at all. Don't pour grain to her but a nice hay and a little grain wouldn't hurt. Worm her too. Especially as she is a Boer, if you hold her over very long....she will just get very fat. :)