Re-Bred

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Sinenian, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

I re-bred my (Holland Lop) rabbit trio today! :bouncy:
    Hoping to have a much better out-come than my first litter. (This will be my second time). They are set to have babies a week after my family and I get back from spring break vacation.

Last time, my black doe didn't obtain pregnancy and my blue one either wasn't nursing her litter or they weren't nursing from her (we suspect she wasn't nursing them do to shock from being braught inside).

My question is, I leave 4.5 hour resting time for our buck to regain sperm count. Is that a good amount of time to let him regain?

Also, my black doe runs away some while being bred (unlike my grey doe, she is very good), is there anyway to stop this? Does this decrease the chances of pregnacy? She does stop for bits of times, but then starts to run a little and stops and so on.

Thanks!

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

running and pausing for mateing then running again is normal, kind of a foreplay technech, as long as she pauses long enough for him to do his thing all is well,
    once they kindle let them have their nest in ONE spot, no reason to bring them inside as long as they are safe and warm with enough beding in the nest box,
    leave the doe and buck togather untill his and her intrest has slacked off, (at least 2 or 3 successful mateings) let him rest a bit if you like, never had a specific time limit really, but 4hours should be more than enough i would guess, then put him with the next doe, and you can go back and let him mate with both does again the same day as many times as he is willing and they are receptive, but i wouldnt try again the next day as this could result too much of a space in delivery times for the two sides of the ueterous

3. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

Thanks, KSAL. Glad to hear that it is normal behavior.

I moved her inside about 3 days before she kindled, the babies stayed in the same spot but she was just moved in and was a little shocked about this. I know now, not to make that mistake again.